bat rays being used as scallops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting guys. Is there some way for the consumer shopping to definitively tell the difference? Some way to make sure we aren't buying fakes?

I live in CT, and most of my diving is in Rhode Island. I've looked through the laws of both states and don't see any mention of taking skates or rays. Anyone know where I should look for info on species that aren't listed in the game regs? Sure would like to take a few rays and punch out a few months worth of "scallops"

You can usually tell the difference due to the muscle fiber alignment in the "scallop." True scallops have the fibers aligned longitudinally, those cut from rays and skates usually have fibers crossing the axis.

We used to eat bat ray wings here on Catalina when we were poor. Hmm, maybe I should resume that.

Doc

Makes sense. Does etiquette require that the first bite be at the equator?

drbill:
You can usually tell the difference due to the muscle fiber alignment in the "scallop." True scallops have the fibers aligned longitudinally, those cut from rays and skates usually have fibers crossing the axis.

We used to eat bat ray wings here on Catalina when we were poor. Hmm, maybe I should resume that.

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom