Bathroom vs. Head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am new here and I am not a diver. Being that as it may I was hoping that one of you kind hearted folks would be able to give me some assistance.
I have been challenged to find the answer to a maritime mystery.

Why is a bathroom referred to as a Head?

Any and all answers would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks a bunch,

Tied Croissant

p.s. your smilies are way cool.

back in the days of sailing ships the bathroom was at the bow of the ship. this was because the wind pushes the ship therefore the smell of the bathroom was pushed downwind away from the ship. thus the bathroom was at the head of the ship.

There was a show about old sailing ships on TV a while back, that showed what they called the "seat of ease"... a wide plank that stuck out over the side, with a big round hole in it. It was for going to the head.

Why is a kitchen on a boat called a galley?

Why is a kitchen on a boat called a galley? [/B]

Well Wendy, I think it boils down to the fact that we men as a rule, will not cook in a kitchen....now a barbecue or a galley, that's a different story.
:coffee:
Jeff

And I thought it was called the head because you use it when you have turtles head

WVMike,

What town in Northern WV are you from? I was raised in Weirton.

Back
Top Bottom