Battery Replacement in Saudi Arabia for Suunto Companion Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carl Ash

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey, looking for some advice to have a battery replaced in a Suunto Companion dive computer in Saudi Arabia.
Is that possible or do the local dealers send the computers to Suunto for factory replacement?

Carl Ash,

The best idea would be to locate the nearest authorized Suunto service center from the link provided, and send it to them in order to have your Companion serviced.Suunto Dealer Locator
If you are unable to do so, please let me know I will assist you further. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Hi Carl

the Battery is really easy to Change yourself - even though probably not supposed to many people do and if out of warranty no harm done
1. Take off strap
2. un 4 screws in the back and remover plastic back
3. remove battery cover then remove Battery
4. Remove and Clean o-ring and plastic cover and edge of where o-ring go's
4. replace new battery ( fairly common size from ebay or electrical shop, same as some cameras)
5. put some silicone grease or Equilivant around o-ring and small smear around plastic cover and edge of Computer
6. replace plastic Cover and O-ring
7. tricky bit is Holding down the plastic cover tightly while replace the plastic back plate and screw all 4 screws down evenly .
thats it .
I have been doing myself for years and never had a problem is very easy and battery compartment is seperate from Computer so even if do badly and flood battery tray computer is usually ok ..
But just check you get O-ring in evenly and plastic battery cover is snug and done..
hope that Helps
mark

Carl Ash,

The best idea would be to locate the nearest authorized Suunto service center from the link provided, and send it to them in order to have your Companion serviced.Suunto Dealer Locator
If you are unable to do so, please let me know I will assist you further. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto
I know why I will never buy your dive computers... just got a companion brought to me without a battery.... put a battery in now I have a dungeons and dragons suunto challange to deal with to get the unit out of ( locked log mode ) and nothing stating how... in the manual... good job

These computers tend to be bricked if the battery goes completely dead or is removed from the computer for anything but a very short interval to stick a new battery in.

After lots of looking around the web, I came across a discussion about a voltage issue regarding "waking these computers up"...if I recall correctly (it has been awhile since I read the discussion), one needs to use a larger capacity battery along with some wires to "jump start" the computer...the level of effort was on the order of a complete pain in the arse but for those nostalgic for these older computers it might be worth the effort.

You do realize that the last post in this discussion thread prior to yours was 9-years ago? And the Suunto computer in question is quite a bit older than that? The Suunto Companion computer, was a decent computer in its day...and if it worked today would be a functional dive computer. But the reality is that the technology and functionality has improved, become more reliable since the Companion and the like hit the market.

There are lots of reasons to be sour towards Suunto for their dive computes...the inability to get their really old (and to some of us, obosolete) computers working after the battery has been removed for an unspecified length of time causing it to be a paperweight is just not one of them.

-Z

Edit:
Here is a link to a discussion thread where the "jump start" procedure is described...good luck:

These computers tend to be bricked if the battery goes completely dead or is removed from the computer for anything but a very short interval to stick a new battery in.

After lots of looking around the web, I came across a discussion about a voltage issue regarding "waking these computers up"...if I recall correctly (it has been awhile since I read the discussion), one needs to use a larger capacity battery along with some wires to "jump start" the computer...the level of effort was on the order of a complete pain in the arse but for those nostalgic for these older computers it might be worth the effort.

You do realize that the last post in this discussion thread prior to yours was 9-years ago? And the Suunto computer in question is quite a bit older than that? The Suunto Companion computer, was a decent computer in its day...and if it worked today would be a functional dive computer. But the reality is that the technology and functionality has improved, become more reliable since the Companion and the like hit the market.

There are lots of reasons to be sour towards Suunto for their dive computes...the inability to get their really old (and to some of us, obosolete) computers working after the battery has been removed for an unspecified length of time causing it to be a paperweight is just not one of them.

-Z

Edit:
Here is a link to a discussion thread where the "jump start" procedure is described...good luck:
appreciate the link... this is one favor I regret offering to do... make no mistake I got my first dive computer ( begrudgingly ) last month...
so it took me 38 years to start using one of these contraptions i went with the garmin as i could use it for other things.
this thing is probably 20~30 years old unit if I were to guess...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom