"Bauer Oceanus" Class Compressors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimndive once bubbled...
If you want to kick back and watch tv while the machine pumps up a cascade, you'll need to add the auto drain which may add 500-750 to the price.
Or you can do what I do... come in and hit ScubaBoard for 20 minutes and then run out to the fill station... and repeat...

CAUTION

Be carefull with the Max air line of compressors, they tend to run those compresors faster than they need to be resulting in premature 1st, second and even third stage piston and head wear. check there rpm rateings.

master Chief

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Or you can do what I do... come in and hit ScubaBoard for 20 minutes and then run out to the fill station... and repeat...

In a severe environment like in Florida where "it's not just the heat it's the stupidity" you would need to cut that board time in half. Seriously. Most machines are set to dump every 10 to 15 minutes even in the panhandle which is where I believe the original questioner lives.

In a severe environment like in Florida where "it's not just the heat it's the stupidity" you would need to cut that board time in half.
If I lived in the swamp I think I might have to go with timed auto-dumps... or move the computer out to the garage. :D

Unfortunately it’s not that easy if you decide to go the new Oceanus route. A new compressor means break in oil, and break in oil is petroleum based, and is not nitrox compatible. Ultimately, you are going to need to run a food grade nitrox compatible synthetic. I don’t know what the break in period on a new Bauer is, they say they all have some new type of piston ring, check with Bauer. Until you break the thing in and make the switch to synthetic, “no nitrox for you…” unless you know somebody with a RIX or other properly set up machine. Once you get set up you’ll produce grade e air with the stock filters and you should be able to get away w/o the hyper filter and do all the pp mixing as long as you take good care of you machine. If you set it up to continuous blend, then likewise you’ll have no need for that hyper-filter.

A new compressor means break in oil, and break in oil is petroleum based, and is not nitrox compatible. . . Ultimately, you are going to need to run a food grade nitrox compatible synthetic. . . .If you set it up to continuous blend, then likewise you’ll have no need for that hyper-filter.
I only plan to do continuous blending.

My desire to know if a hyperfilter is overkill, has to do with air quality as it relates to what goes into my lungs. . . not the combustion potential of topping off a tank with air that is not hydrocarbon-free.

That being said, I have two questions.

1) Since I am continuous blending, can't I skip the hyperfilter (period)?

2) Is food grade synthetic oil desirable from just a "combustion" point of view, or is it also desirable from a "quality of breathing air" point of view.

Thanks!

The answer to both your questions is a conditional yes, a hyper-filter is overkill. I would recommend that you first call Bauer and ask them about the compatabilty of their break in oil with oxygen enriched air and how long you actually need to keep this oil in the machine. I wouldn't advise any blending until you can make the swithover. As far as the food grade synthetic goes, it's not a combustion issue it's a health issue. Most of the recommended synthetics used in scuba compressors are diesther based. There are however some suitable food grade lubricants that I feel have some long term "health" advantages.

The answer to both your questions is a conditional yes, a hyper-filter is overkill.

Swimndive,

Thanks for your help. A hyper-filter requirement (initial outlay and recurring cost) might have stalled my home mixing plans.

I'm surprised Omar hasn't jumped in here... he must not be aware of this thread. He uses an oiled compressor for continuous blending and would be able to give you some valuable pointers.

Perhaps you won't need a hyperfilter... but with the increased O2 present in the compressor (due to continuous blending) it would be my concern that more CO will be produced... perhaps the use of synthetics eliminates that... I don't know... and it might not be a hyperfilter but just a good CO filter you would need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom