"Bauer Oceanus" Class Compressors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a chat with a Bauer representive today about running premixed Nitrox through their Oceanus compressor and whether there was an effect on warranty.

The "official" policy I got was that compressing Nitrox voids the warranty. The :wink: wink and nudge I got was "If you're really interested, I can recommend a good synthetic oil for you".

When I asked what kind of damage Nitrox might cause, I was told "pitting of the cylinder wall due to combustion". Combustion was the last word I wanted to hear (ref. Pug's comments on CO)

I understand Bauer's need to CYA, so I'm going to take their comments with a grain of salt. There must be plenty of continuous blending home mixers who have not burnt up their compressors and don't get a headache every time they dive.

P.S.

He said I can't get an autodrain on the Oceanus.

Yeah they will tell you not to run He through it either. A good synthetic lube is all you'll need, but it looks like you'll have to go to one of the bigger machines if you want the auto drain and that will blow the budget. Why not just get one of your buddies to kick in and then you can build a proper fill station? I'm sure most of the people who are blending spent more than 4k to get up and running. A good system will always have decent re-sale value so you can't get hurt too bad.

I am pretty ignorant on HP compressors, so bear with me.

The problem with not having an auto-drain (assuming continuous blending) is. . . you have to:

1) Turn everything off (the O2 tank, the compressor, the fill tank)
2) Drain the water
3) Turn everything back on

Can you install a "semi" auto-drain that allows you to leave everything running and throw a switch to drain the sump?

Stone once bubbled...
I am pretty ignorant on HP compressors, so bear with me.

The problem with not having an auto-drain (assuming continuous blending) is. . . you have to:

You just open the drain with the compressor running... no problem there.

The problem is that to filter out CO you will need a filter media that is quickly destroy by any water vapour... hence you will need to make sure that not only do you have a filter for that before the CO element... but the condensate chambers after each stage must be drained also... every 15~20 minutes (or more often if you live in the swamp.)

know anyone (other than you, of course) that has a Rix SA6 that (1) is in good shape, and (2) they don't want? :)

As UP said you can find good deals if you look. Expect to pay about $4200 for a rebuilt SA-6 with 1 year waranty. If someone is serious about buying one PM me and I'll give you the name of my compressor guy who had one he was going to rebuild for me.

Before he did I found a RIX SA-6 for $1500 that came with a Bauer PO filter (combination coalescer & filtration). It had been "run hard and put to bet wet" and was only putting out 3 cfm instead of 5.5 when I got it. I converted it from gas to electric, replaced the 1st and second stage rings, 3rd stage cylinder, piston assembly, and rebuilt the 3rd stage head, all for $1000 (no charge for my labor). My compressor guy converted the interstage separators from a little screen thingy to a coalescor type element to help out there as well.

As UP will tell you one advantage of the RIX is that no matter how poor the condition the compressor can not degrade the quality of the air it pumps. An oil lubed 6 cfm compressor that had as bad ring blow-by would have filled your tanks with an oil cloud.

Dave D

The Bauer PO filter is perfectly suitable for continuous flow blending. Moreover, although I know several people who do partial pressure mixing with the standard Bauer setup with no problems, the 'book' says that extra filtration is needed. Actually, this is false, mostly. As a precaution, an O2 clean cylinder/valve being partial pressure filled with standard triplex filtration should be internally cleaned after a couple hundred fills, or anytime if moisture/rust is visible inside the bottle. There is some cost associated with the Bauer replaceable cartridge. A $35 ctg is good for about 50 fills. Cleaning the tank and valve can be done in about a half hour using a special solvent called Ensolv. One or two quarts is required and cost is $50.00/gal. Replace tank and valve O rings.

The Oceanus is a good compressor but pricey for a 4 cfm (that's what they actually deliver). If portability is a must and price is no object it seems a good choice. It is the only portable that I am aware of that is continuous rated at 4500 psi. Ironically, some much bigger used compressors can be had on E Bay for the same or less. I presume auto drain/shutoff would not be an issue with a large unit. You should keep an eye on things anyway.

As far as oil clouds, Bauer intentionally vents crankcase mist back to the first stage. This provides for extra lubrication and is inconsequential to the air quality which is easily controlled by the filter. I've only seen one cracked cyl ring, in an old mil compressor. There were two consequences, reduced output and blowby oil mist coming from the crankcase vent. This raises the possibility that the type of compressor with a feedback loop, like Bauer, would vent more vapor back to the first stage. However, the Bauer piston rings are good for about 3,000 hours, 10 times longer than the RIX.

I seriously doubt that there would be any combustion while pumping NITROX up to 36%. However, one poster made a good point about Delvac break in oil. It's petroleum based and might cause some oxidation/odor during the first hours of operation. The triplex condensator contains hopcalite which should take care of any small amount of CO produced during compression.

Stone: I'm adding a comment on the Oceanus auto drain since I see that you contacted the co. Compressed Air Specialities will custom equip that compessor with auto drain and pressure switch. They sell the whole package.

I was told by the bauer rep that all new bauer units have synthetic oil in them when they leave Norfolk.

I'm going to put corn oil in your newly rebuilt K14 bubble boy, get out the check book, or its ours.

Mark V:bonk: :mean:

pescador775 once bubbled...
Stone: I'm adding a comment on the Oceanus auto drain since I see that you contacted the co. Compressed Air Specialities will custom equip that compessor with auto drain and pressure switch. They sell the whole package.

I saw the "whole package" in the catalog. They didn't list the price (and I'm almost afraid to ask).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom