Bauer Purus ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fyr-guy

Registered
Reaction score
While filling tanks today my Bauer Purus compressor started to vent air out of the 2nd stage safety valve when the fill gauge read 1000 psi. Does this indicate a problem with one of the valve sets? If so , which stage? Is this something that a resonably mechanically inclined person could tackle? This compressor was put together by JMAR in Canada around 1982 but had been in storage for 23 yrs before I bought it 2 yrs ago. It had only 20 or so hrs on it when taken out of storage and I had it completely gone over by a compressor service company at the time who verified the condition.

I understand that bauer compressors came with service manuals and tools when new. Would anyone know of a source for parts or factory manuals for a compressor of this age. Any help would be appreciated as I feel this compressor has a lot of life left in it.

Hi
Sounds like a fault with the third stage valves.
A bauer tool is required to remove them from the cylinder head,
As for the book/manual
i have both for all old bauer units of this age.
Any chance of a photo of unit also 3rd head asy
is head ally or brass?

Thanks for the response Windy. I hope to have a couple of photos up by tomorrow. While digging through the shipping crate I found a service record from when the unit was new. It says Aug 17, 1982, serial# 82/236/10, Model P1/GS, rotometer Volume flow 3.2 SCFM. There is a wrench in there as well with a bunch of pins on each side, not sure if it is for this particular unit or not.

The wrench you have should have 6 pins in a circle on each side - that's the valve removal tool. You should be able to change the valves yourself. Two options - first is to remove the valves and give them a good clean - usually lots of carbon gumming them up. Second option is to replace the valves with new valves. Personally, I'd give them a good clean. If that doesn't work, I'd replace the pair.

You can probably find a service manual for your compressor here: http://www.scubaengineer.com/bauer_compressor_servicing_inforx.htm - they certainly had manuals for both my utilis and K14, and the price was right (free).

There are various options for ordering replacement valves, including online. Personally, I've only ever used valves from a bauer agent, so can't comment on the after-market valves.

Thanks guys, I've posted a couple of photos of the compressor and offending relief valve and the tool as well. If its just a matter of a good cleaning of the valves I would like to attempt it but being that it needs to be done right because of the high pressures involved it would be nice to have a service manual. The valve that is opening is the one next to the middle cylinder.

Attachments

• IMG_1003 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1003 (Small).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_1005 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1005 (Small).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_1006 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1006 (Small).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_1007 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1007 (Small).jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 373
Hi
Thats a very old unit you have
i have a parts list that i can photo copy
pic4 shows tool for removing 1st&2nd valves
has tool a smaller set 6 pins on other end ?
lets hope it has

First remove cover guard
remove both pipes from 3rd stage head
in center of head remove acorn nut
under this is a jack screw, slacken screw 4 full turns
remove 6 allen cylinder head screws
lift of both parts, cover and head.
under cover is a O ring that seals valve
this valve just pulls out
other valve must be removed with the tool.
with care the valves can be taken to bits & cleaned or refaced sometimes.

re build in reverse but make sure that after head is tightned down
that the jack screw is tightned down.
This holds the valve on its seat,then fit acorn nut.

If the jack screw is not backed off & the head unit pulled down
it may crack the head around the jacking screw.
I have seen some one do this
all was fine till it got under full workin load
Then a big bang the center section of the head blew out.
Call it bad luck he was standing to close.
He lost his life with the blown out section through his head.

RECAP
JACK SCREW MUST BE BACKED OFF BEFORE HEAD SCREWS ARE TIGHTNED

Thanks Windy, When reassembling, do the head screws and jack screw have to be torqued down? If so what are the values? Thanks for the warning about the jack screw,my wife thinks I have enough holes in my head as it is. Oh yeah, the tool has six pins in a tighter circle on the other side so it should be good.

thread M6 Torque 10Nm- 7.3ftlbs
8 25 18.0
10 45 32.0

O ring if you want is viton 15.6X1.78 part number N2789
inlet valve number 07790
discharge 014121

The part numbers have changed now but a bauer agent can cross them over to the new numbers.

Thanks to all of you who provided advice and literature enabling me to repair my compressor. I dismantled the 3rd stage head and removed the valves.There was the tiniest fleck of material inside of one of the valves which was not allowing it to seat properly. As well, they needed a good cleaning to remove the gummy crud, I think that is the technical term! Anyway it is pumping air again just in time for my fall diving trip to Georgian Bay.
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom