Bauer Rpm Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommymac

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 1975 3 stage Bauer compressor. According to the label on the compressor, it pumps air at 5 CFM, I believe the model is C!, and PSI is given as 3200.

My question is regarding the RPM. . The plate reads n/min r.p.m. 1300

I have had the compressor professionally serviced and I had a large filter tower added to the smaller existing filter. I just replaced the 80's vintage Briggs & Staten gas motor with a new Honda motor. I was concerned about over revving the Bauer so I bought a optic rpm counter. Before replacing the old motor I checked the rpm on the compressor and it was 1050. I adjusted the new motor to the same rpm but I am wondering if there is some harm in running the compressor slower than it was designed to run at.
This is a home compressor, not used to fill tanks commercially or even for a club. I probably average about 30 fills a year. I am happy with the fill rate now but wonder if it is actually better for an old compressor to run at stated rpm on the plate, or should I leave well enough alone?

The optical rpm counter is from Harbor Freigh, and is a $40.00 item.

Slowing the compressor should not be a problem, but I believe it has an oil pump. Find the manual online or get if from Bauer, confirm oil pump and check that you do not need to bump up the flow rate to keep the pressure with in specification..More then likely if it does have a pump you should see about 1000 psi oil pressure

Thanks for help. I got a quick response from Bauer as well. I will be turning up the rpm from 1050 to 1200. Not sure how accurate my rpm tool is, and don't want to go over the factory 1300 rpm

I'm running my Mariner @ 1050rpm.

As said, as long as your oil pressure is good (mines 950psi) then pump away.

oh, & I also removed the diesel engine off this too so I could run it from single phase - 4hp motor off the cooker circuit.
I only pump to 275bar (4000psi) but works perfectly.

I decided to run mine up to 1200 rpm, that would still be below the 1300 rpm on the compressor's info plate. Before I got that high up, the motor started to try and jump off the mounting plate. Something was wrong so I backed off it 1075. I filled a completely empty classic steel 72 to 2400psi in 17min. I don't know how to go about checking my oil pressure or knowing if it even has an oil pump. My thinking now is to back off to the 1050 I started with and leave well enough alone. I have filled over 300 tanks with it set at 1050 rpm. I have more time than money, or at least at my age I hope so :)

Back
Top Bottom