Bauer Varius extra filtration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruzandiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
I recently purchased a used Bauer Varius compressor for a great price and have been filling my tanks for the past couple of weeks. The fellow who sold me the unit purchased it while in Germany and when he purchased the compressor he also bought an inline (fill whip) filter as well. My question is, what filtration material is in the inline filter? There are no marking at all on the filter housing. It is just an aluminum tube with DIN fittings but I would think I should I be replacing the media inside. It looks like Activated Carbon pellets but then I don't know what a desiccant looks like so i'm not sure. Can the two be mixed for better filtration of oders and moisture? Any advice would be most appreciated as what I should be buying to repack this extra filter.

Thanks,

Jon

You did replace/repack the primary filter? Filter material, once installed, is either used up or replaced in 6 months. Bauer stopped using inline filters because they simply don't work.

Yep, The primary filter has been replaced. The unit is a P21 with a Triplex cartridge. The inline I am speaking of is an addition the original puirchaser added on. Basically the fill whip connects to the inline filter and the filter connects directly to the tank valve. I have not used this extra filter yet but thought that I should re-pack the unit before using. I just wanted to see what most people are packing external filters with if people are even using them.

Jon

Ah ... I bet it is one of these guys or one like it.
op900930.gif

Portable filters are a lot more popular in Europe than they are here in the US so there are several brands of them.

While, in theory they are a great idea, you have to throttle the tank valve to maintain a back pressure on the filter chemicals. The Coltri version uses the same filter cartridge as the MCH6 compressor because it is the same pressure housing. The US cartridges are either 13X and AC or 13X, CO scrubber and AC.

If yours is re-packable, it probably isn't a Coltri.

Ray,
You hit the nail on the head, that looks exactly like the one I have. The one that I have is quite easily repackable and now that I have something to search for on the net, maybe I can find out more about this portable filter. I understand that these are not all that common anymore and like you stated that this was more common in Europe than the US so would anyone suggest that I just continue to not use it? I thought since I had it, I may as well use it for some extra filtration.
Thanks for the good info, Jon

...so would anyone suggest that I just continue to not use it? I thought since I had it, I may as well use it for some extra filtration.

Using it properly is not easy in that you really need to throttle the air flow into the tank to keep the pressure up. Basically, you will have to turn your tank valve into a pressure maintaining valve to get the full efficiency of the chemicals. Of course, once the pressure in the tank is as high or higher than the PMV output, you can crank the valve wide open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom