Bay islands college of diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vtminter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have any information on the bay islands college of diving? I am thinking about going there to get instructor certified. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Check out Coconut Tree Divers! Speak with Will Welbour(Bay Island Diver on SB) about his IDC. Trust me it was a great IDC and Will is an awsome CD.

The course director is Jim McClendon (Jungle Jim) he has been living on the island for about 15 years. He is a good guy and will instill in you a professional attitude, when it comes to recreational scuba diving & being safe!!

Jungle is from Texas, he did a stint in the US Navy and worked as manager at Texas Instruments (TI) a long time ago, ask him about computers getting flat tires!

IDC's at BICD tend to be smaller than UDC, there are very few IDC's at Deep Blue.

You would be best to travel down that way, meet the course directors and find one you like before making a depo$it.

Utila has so many instructors running around that island, it's not funny, so finding work will be a challenge, but if you have some spending money saved beforehand and can pay your bills after the IDC, Utila is a good place to blow off a few months.

Rainy season starts near the end of September and is a very slow period, however, if you did your IDC in November then you are in the right place at the right time for high season come December & onwards.

Do your research concerning how much money you will make as a dive instructor, it is called a "lifestyle", read it as "proverty".

You may think doing five specialties and getting certified as a Master Scuba Diver trainer (MSDT) will make you more marketable as an instructor, this is crap, MSDT prep programs are easy money for the course directors. The languages you can speak other than english are more valuable than the number of specialties you can teach!!!

I have a collegue who is a Master Instructor going onto Course Director (been teaching for 10 years) of all the specialties he has taught 70% are Nitrox. This is a good specialty to do with a Course Director, the others you can self-certify.

Does anyone have any information on the bay islands college of diving? I am thinking about going there to get instructor certified. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the info. The thing is I really want to do a NAUI ITC on utila, but the place that I wanted to do it won't be able too any time soon. Do you know of anyone else who can do one on utila?

I know about the salary of instructors. The real reason I want to do be an instructor is to work on a liveaboard and maybe do a little traveling.

I'll 2nd Jungle. Great guy. I don't think he reads the posts here, but UTLgirl does and she is also at BICD so I am sure that she'll check in here and add her .02.

Happy diving. Utila is a great place to spend some time.

Cocont Tree is on Roatan,not Utila, although Will has a great reputation with the local instructors.

Andy at UDC is also an excellent choice. I am not an instructor, but I have met Andy.

Lets get the facts correct JBBE, Deep Blue Divers conduct an IDC program every month

Vtminter.....

I'm currently on Utila. I know, Jungle Jim (BICD), Phil (Deep Blue Divers) and Andy at UDC. All are excellent CD's. However, the prior sugestion to arrive at the island and visit the locations and speak with the CDs is sound advise. Also will provide you with a real time chance to check out the facilities. Also you should be aware that Utila is in a state of major road overhaul, making the time you come relative to the repair status and where you ultimately choose to stay.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom