Bay Islands or Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer both because I've been to both and both are great. And I plan to go back to both, knowing they are different but equal in diving pleasure. It would be cruel to continue to exisit and have to choose between 'em, so don't punish yourself by trying. Flip a coin if you must, otherwise my vote is for...both. //ww

I have been to Roatan once and Bonaire twice. I would go back to Roatan or one of the other Bay Islands in a minute. There are too many other islands I would want to see before I went back to Bonaire. Bonaire is really only diving and that is about it. Don't get me wrong, it may be the best diving ever but now for me it is not just about the diving anymore. I enjoy doing other things besides diving. And the SO do not get as bored either. Just my 2 cents worth.

Charles

Been to both several times and love both islands.....Roatan is more laid back and more rustic and cheaper one of the last Banana Republics....the diving is good...great walls and lush corals a place to go and relax and get away from it all...I love it there.. ...Bonaire is a little more "Amercianized" IMO and more expensive by far.. it is an arid island and the tradewinds keep it cool...out of the hurricane belt so not many storms or rain during the year....diving is good there also lots of shore diving but for me it is too much work....I hate schleping gear....I prefer the boat dives...lots of macro opportunities...but like the other poster said flip a coin you can't go wrong:wink:

Guess I am on the other side of the coin, been to Bonaire many times and headed back to Roatan for a second time soon (and Bonaire in a few months) but given a choice it's Bonaire for me. I prefer the shore diving, my own schedule, my own pace and my own sites. No hurring to get on the boat or having to come back up with 1500psi because my 1 hr is up and the boat needs to get back....my average dive on Bonaire last 75 minutes and 90 minute dives are common. I can (and have) spent the entire dive moving no more than a few yards checking out every inch of a coral head, not something you can do on a boat dive. As for cost, I have to disagree that Bonaire is more expensive. My Roatan trip is costing me around $1900, my Bonaire trip is around $1600. With better food and not being stuck at a resort. In addition, we are staying at one of the more expensive resorts due to the request of others in the party, I could cut the cost a good bit more by staying at a less expensive place. You will enjoy either place.

I like both, as well. There is no "one over the other", you gotta do both.

The strange thing is, people that go to Bonaire come back with similar experiences. You may go to one resort or stay at one place, but most folks get out-and-about and see the other AI's and cat around a bit. Driving a rental car there is safe, easy, fun and a requirement. They get to see a general picture of Bonaire.

Roatan visitors rarely get more than a tunnel vision view of the island, like through the slits of venetian blinds. People come away from the island with startlingly different and non-meshing recollections of the diving and surroundings. Renting a car and driving is simply a bad idea- the roads suck, there are no trauma centers and your accepted and absolute liability as a foreigner is paralyzing. Hired drivers are a bargain.

If you want lots to do other than dive, Bonaire wins hands down. Lots of beautiful beaches, good exploring, good roads, and lots of restaurants to try. The restaurant thing? That puts Bonaire in roughly the same trick-bag as Roatan. Most Bonaire visitors rarely venture past the main town of Krinkydink. They have no clue of the wondrous "joints" that only the locals venture into. After all, where else can you find Real Indonesian Rice Table (Risztaffel) ? How many visitors manage to find it? Very few.

On Roatan, if you are staying on the "West End", that's what you understand and know. You believe that the diving there is the same as the South Side, and you don't have but limited access to that, so- you really don't know. There are multitudes of great bars on the west End to watch sunsets with a cold Salva Vida in hand. Party central. On the other hand, many divers who stay at the AI's on the South Side- they have no clue as to the two superb restaurants that are hidden in the jumble of the West End. Instead, these South siders prefer and usually wind up at one of two S Side restaurants that are distressingly milquetoast. But South side divers know the wondrous little critters that Roatan is truly and best known for. Again- you only know what you know.

The shore dive opportunities on Bonaire are its greatest attraction. Most "house reefs" are rather mucked-up, but with a short drive, you can dive the best Bonaire has to offer. There is no more crime on Bonaire than any other Caribbean rock, it's just that dumb divers leave their valuables locked up in their cars. Take nothing other than dive gear, leave your car unlocked- money and drivers liscenses are waterproof. Again- no worse than any other Island, just increased opportunities due to the attractive shore diving.

I have been diving on every side of Bonaire (and some of the inland caves), and I absolutely understand the synchronicity of Klein Bonaire- how this smaller islet off main Bonaire is used to "hide behind" at dive moorings to find relief from the omnipresent SW convection oven blast of hot dry air. this is the picture book "desert isle" with cactus, donkeys and scorpions. Bonaire has some stunning dives.

There is no reason to dive the windward side (if the winds let up from the WSW to allow it) other than to say, "See my logbook?", yet it holds a great attraction. Skip it. Spend hours in the lush walls of the Klein Bonaire dives instead.

On the topic of Roatan divers only having that narrow view of the island, I'll give you my take. As much as I love the diving on Bonaire, I will take one resort's shore dive on Roatan hands-down over all of what Bonaire has to offer. Give me the "Front Yard" at CoCoView. No one sees this dive other than CCV divers. Certainly no-one at any other resort or lodging, not even those from across the channel at FIBR. Having done them all, I'll tell you that this "Front Yard" with the Prince Albert Wreck is a rare gem. Roatan visitors are exposed to a very limited view, but like most of us, we know "it had to be the bestest vacation ever". Consider taking a look around.

Still- there's not much to do on Roatan other than dive. It may be the last of the Banana Republics, but in fact it is the original and first Banana Republic. (This has nothing to do with clothing for teenage girls, Google "United Fruit Company" and you will understand). You have to take into account what people are really saying when they describe their ideal vacation spot. Are they really bone-head Nitrogen junkies... dive-dive-dive? Or are they hiding the fact that they might want to drink (more than) a few beers? In the Bay Islands, drinking is a practiced profession, in Bonaire, tourists may engage in what is still regarded as a sport.

Bonaire has those bays perfect for windsurfing, inviting touristy restaurants, topless environments, bars scattered about. A tourist's dream built slowly and artisticly from the many years of Cruise Ships coming nearby to Curacao, many years of monied divers from the US, many years of wealth Dutch tourists. Roatan is beginning this journey, but it got the green light last week (comparatively). Think Beverly Hillbillies on speed. Go to Roatan to dive or do the Margaritaville thing. Pick your resort, AI, lodging, or dive op with extreme care according to your true needs and desires.

Roatan has some attraction, But- after a while, you get tired of Bay Islands "steak", maybe wanting a little Bonaire cuisine as well. It's all good- but in Roatan, most folks only know what they know. Visitors to Bonaire have a much broader perspective, and in fact, Bonaire is fairly much the same, resort to resort. You really can't go wrong on Bonaire.

RoatanMan:
I like both, as well. There is no "one over the other", you gotta do both.

The strange thing is, people that go to Bonaire come back with similar experiences. You may go to one resort or stay at one place, but most folks get out-and-about and see the other AI's and cat around a bit. Driving a rental car there is safe, easy, fun and a requirement. They get to see a general picture of Bonaire.

Roatan visitors rarely get more than a tunnel vision view of the island, like through the slits of venetian blinds. People come away from the island with startlingly different and non-meshing recollections of the diving and surroundings. Renting a car and driving is simply a bad idea- the roads suck, there are no trauma centers and your accepted and absolute liability as a foreigner is paralyzing.

Truth !

RoatanMan:
The shore dive opportunities on Bonaire are its greatest attraction

Still- there's not much to do on Roatan other than dive.

I`m surprised that more people don`t shore dive in Roatan. The reef is 100 yards from shore. Some of the mooring bouys for the dive boats are 100 feet from shore. It would be very easy to shore dive Roatan if you can find a good entrance point.

I disagree that there is nothing else to do on Roatan except dive. My wife and I have been having a blast in the afternoons (I do two dives in the morming, then explore with my wife in the afternoon). Its true if you`re looking for Goofy Golf or water slides, but there are lots of other outdoor activities to do here. Most of the people that I dove with over the last nine days here, make 3-4 dives during the day then hit the bars. They never stick there noses outside of West End.

Roger

Do both ...

Both diving, both water ...

Beyond that, very different, and both wonderful. Put both in your plans.

A clue ...

Roatan is destined to get a cruise ship port, and soon. If you want to experience the laid-back, very Central America Roatan, do it now, before the cruise hordes and day divers. Then do Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom