BC inflator failure.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pay close attention to the order of operations I suggested.

I still don't think Ow divers should be practicing shutting down their air supply when they have no redundancy. If you can't get the inflator hose back on, then abort the dive (or dive without the hose connected) but shutting down your only air supply at depth, is a not a solution i would teach for something that is not much more than an inconvenience.

I've said this in several posts before, but the standard scuba inflator hardware is CRAP. Look at what mechanics use for air tool.. They aren't wearing cold water gloves and they would NEVER put up with a tiny little knurled ring that is prone to corrosion and could result in death due to an uncontrolled ascent.

When will the whole industry change over to a more friendly connector..?? It is the EXACT same crappy cheap hardware we have had for like 35 years!! That is one reason I like the Air 2, you can actually disconnect it,, quickly, reliably and with thick gloves and cold hands. Of course it IS harder to reconnect.. but an uncontrolled BC inflation situation is an emergency and a quick disconnect is important.

If she was that experienced she should have known to disconnect her LP hose? But maybe she panicked?
I was not there at the time of the incident. I am going by her relation of the story at the supper table that evening. I do not think she panicked, but apparently the idea of disconnecting the inflator hose did not occur to her. Anything other than what she told me would be speculation.

For myself, I'd have no problem continuing a dive without an inflator hose, inflating manually (or I guess I should say orally). On land, valves off, I have difficulty connecting and disconnecting. Next time I dive I'll practice it. (I'm one of those vacation divers who likes to let the boat crew do all the work for me... and I tip accordingly.)

I still don't think Ow divers should be practicing shutting down their air supply when they have no redundancy.

What I said was transition to your redundancy first, whether that's a pony or your buddy, and then shut down the tank on your back. If that's too risky for someone, they shouldn't be toting around an OW diver card.

I'll agree with you on the poor design of the LPI hose though. I've got no experience with the Air2, but the Atomic SS1 hose and fitting is much easier to work with than the standard LPI fitting.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2015 at 03:57 PM ----------

"Hose Hats" were designed to make disconnection easier, not connection. Given that disconnection can be a urgent matter and connection (or reconnection) usually is much less vital it's a fair trade off IMO.

There is a notch in the side of a DSS hose hat that needs to be oriented with wide oval hoses. This can make connection under water more difficult.

With conventional round corrugated hoses this interference is not present.

Tobin

It is definitely a tradeoff, as is the choice between the stiffer round corrugated hose and the more flexible but wider oval corrugated hose. The DSS hat's notch, in my experience, was more cosmetic than functional and did little to help with clearance in my application. But I'm sure it's better than nothing.

Since we are on the subject of making QDs (Quick Disconnect) easier to remove, you also have to decide if it will be too easy. What’s worse, accidently releasing the QD on your power inflator or not being able to release it in the rare instance of a runaway inflator?

I decided to use an EZ-ON Quick Disconnect Adapter (because it is easy to disconnect with gloves) for my drysuit and a standard QD adapter for the power inflator. I use regulator hose to QD adapters instead of QD swaged to the hose for easier field repairs and reducing my hose inventory. YMMV.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/adapters/qd.shtml#2113

In my opinion, an accidental disconnect of the inflator is a minor inconvenience, since I can inflate orally, and I don't have to inflate much in the course of a dive. And it's much easier to avoid sinking during the few moments it takes to inflate the BC orally than it is to avoid rising in the event of a runaway inflator.

(I'm speaking only of a BC inflator, not a dry suit inflator. I have no experience or knowledge of dry suits, and don't expect ever to dive dry. I'm strictly a warm-water diver.)

Ditching gear and ascending with a buddy is a good plan. More experienced divers and calm in an emergency types might consider shutting off the air, disconnecting the low pressure inflator hose, and then turning on the air. The person with the fault gear can share a buddy's air during this process and the buddy can do the shutting and opening of the air valve. on the first stage. This is good post, and divers should think about other alternatives to an uncontrolled buoyant ascent from any depth. For shallower dives, I like the ditch and ascend, for deeper air off- disconnect - then on. Another example of what a buddy should be in touching distance at all time. NOte: the diver with the faulty bc shold keep the deflate open during this process, and no buoyant ascent should occur.
DivemasterDennis

Or just disconnecting the LPI. Far easier, especially in warm water where one doesn't have to wear thick gloves. It's a basic skill. No need to shut off your gas....

In my opinion, an accidental disconnect of the inflator is a minor inconvenience, since I can inflate orally, and I don't have to inflate much in the course of a dive. And it's much easier to avoid sinking during the few moments it takes to inflate the BC orally than it is to avoid rising in the event of a runaway inflator.

(I'm speaking only of a BC inflator, not a dry suit inflator. I have no experience or knowledge of dry suits, and don't expect ever to dive dry. I'm strictly a warm-water diver.)

Would you like to explain that to the jury when a diver reaches the surface and can't inflate because his power inflator "popped off" "too easily" and they tire and perish?

Keep in mind that I agree that's it's a minor problem for most, but could be a major liability issue for a manufacturer.

Tobin

Uncoupling the LPI should be a practiced skill for any diver as it is real simple,UNCONTROLLED ASCENT, is just not good so train to avoid it. Unfortunately so many divers have a way to relaxed attitude toward their equipment and the first to be ignored is the LP coupler and the inflator ,no matter which brand. I have had divers trying to hurry along their gear service or even ask not to have the LPI checked to reduce the service bill. As one guy said "just never got round to taking care of sticky buttons" well ......... ever leave on a long road trip without checking the spare etc. Yes a quick disconnect is a solution to a problem however as instructors we teach and train to be able to avoid as many if not all possible situations.

Would you like to explain that to the jury when a diver reaches the surface and can't inflate because his power inflator "popped off" "too easily" and they tire and perish?

Keep in mind that I agree that's it's a minor problem for most, but could be a major liability issue for a manufacturer.

Tobin

Probably not at all difficult to explain. Any diver who makes it to the surface and then drowns almost surely did not follow their most fundamental training. They were killed by their weight belt that they were supposed to drop in any emergency. Put that on par with continuing down the freeway with a flat tire.

Would you care to prove that it popped off as opposed to the diver removing it intentionally or never connecting it?

They were killed by their weight belt that they were supposed to drop in any emergency.
In most SURFACE emergencies rather than "any emergency".

Although that was clear to you (I assume) and to me, I just specifiy to avoid the confusion (that I've read) that some then claim "oh but PADI is so stupid, they'll tell you to ditch all your weights if you have an issue at 30m".
Weights should be removed if you have absolutely no reason to go down again OR have no other way to ascend.

But thinking someone would sue a manufacturer because they didn't:
- reconnect a hose
- use oral inflation
- drop their weights
- be smart enough to not be massively overweighted
seems a bit too much to me. But then again, there's words of some very silly law cases...

Back
Top Bottom