BC leaking slightly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

21isfun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
so i just bought a bc a few weeks ago from scubatoys for an upcoming trip-it seemed fine when i jumped in the water in a neighbors pool-(only thing available for several reasons). Im now on my trip and today was the first dive- i notices that where my power inflator hose attached to the bc- its bubbling out. It seems like if you pull on the hose it acts as a dump valve-though idk if this is actually the case. but it is a steady stream of little bubbles-it didn't affect my dive much as it was a shallow dive and adding 3-4 quick hits of air into the bc over a 45 minute period seemed to take care of it. im currently stayin at a research station- not a hotel- in a remote place. there are a few hotels with dive shops though none service oceanic or aeris (my bc is Aeris Contour-same as oceanic hera). thoughts? im thinking i am going to go ahead and do another shallow dive tomorrow-( shore entry, sandy bottom, protected cove, no surf) and just see if it gets worse. if it does i may try to inspect the attachment point, before having it serviced. others in our group will be both snorkeling and diving this shallow reef spot, so i don't think a shallow dive will be all that bad since the leak barely made a difference today. Anyone have experience with such a leak?

Why not inspect now?

It would take less time than writing your last post...

But, generally, small leaks is not a big deal, even though you would want it fixed, especially on a brand new BC.

If the leak is coming from the quick disconnect fitting between the low pressure hose and the nipple on the bcd, the problem is most likely a loose/gunked/*** schrader valve inside the hose. Rinse well, inspect for junk, try and make sure the valve is screwed all the way in (usually takes a special tool) and say your prayers until you return to civilization and can have it serviced. A bike shop might be able to help you with the valve if a scuba shop isn't available.

If it's bubbling at the LP inflator hose connection then it's more that likely a bad O-ring in the LP hose (the one attached to your reg- not the BC itself) or a little bit go dirt in it or some hoses just don't play well with some connectors. In any case, if it's a little leak , dive it until you get home and have it checked. BC's are convience devices, if you are properly weighted you should have little air in your BC at the start and none at the end, if you have more than that you need to do some weight checks.....one more thought, the nipple in the BC may just be loose, it's worth checking. GENTLY check it with a wrench, it should be snug but remember this is plastic, cranking down on it will crack it and if gental thightening does not do it, there is another problem- the answer is NOT more torque.

Disconnect your inflator line while underwater. If it stops leaking, then its probably the o-ring between the power inflator nozzle nipple and the quick-disconnect. If bubbles are still coming out from the BC side, then that's when a loose nipple is suspect. Otherwise, a small leak from this junction is no biggie.

I can't tell from your description exactly where the leak is, but it sounds as if it's at the fitting where the corrugated B/C inflator hose attaches to the B/C bladder.

You probably do have a pull-dump valve at that joint.
Could be that the dump valve is slightly leaking.

And it may be that the corrugated hose is not secured completely to the B/C bladder.

You may want to unscrew the coupling that connects the corrugated hose to the B/C and reseat it. Be very, very careful when you do this because it is very, very easy to cross thread the connection and screw it up.

Good luck.

the K

...not to sound to 'harsh'.......but given the fact that you don't even know your gear well enough to know whether or not you even have a shoulder dump valve, and the complete ambiguity in your description of the problem (the 'responders' to this thread can't even tell which 'end' of the BCD hose/inflator mechanism you are talking about with respect to the location of the leak)....you're likely not qualified to be experimenting with field gear repairs......if the leak is staying steady/small, just let it go for now and deal with it back home where you can have a dive shop fix it. Remember the 'first rule of holes' ? ...when you're in one, stop digging !!!

Back
Top Bottom