BC Repair - Inflator hose attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ones I see on eBay both say 2” but the hole in aqualung is 2 1/8 “ with the flange being nearly 3” . Any ideas ?
The lathe idea is actually not a bad one but don't use Nylon because it's to brittle. Use a material called UHMW. I made a lot of oddball one off parts out of that stuff in my shop. It machines like very soft Aluminum, very easy. The only problem with it, is that it's hard to lock into a lathe or mill because it's so slippery. It's also known as Super Slick Plastic. I buy mine cheap on Ebay as "cut offs".

The lathe idea is actually not a bad one but don't use Nylon because it's to brittle. Use a material called UHMW. I made a lot of oddball one off parts out of that stuff in my shop. It machines like very soft Aluminum, very easy. The only problem with it, is that it's hard to lock into a lathe or mill because it's so slippery. It's also known as Super Slick Plastic. I buy mine cheap on Ebay as "cut offs".
Many thanks for the heads up on UHMW - I had spectra lines on a stunt kite over 25 years ago ! The rod will be perfect to machine the required parts from :) if I can find an engineer here to complete the task , wish my poppy was still around he’d make it in a jiffy :-(

Look for a small machine shop, not one of the big ones. They're all to busy to bother with a little one off job like that but a small shop would do it. Also, look into having more than one made. A one off special set up job will charge less for each one if you get multiples made. Then you have spares or ones for sale. Lastly, just a thought but have you looked into a 3D printer?

I made a flange and nut for bcd repair on a lathe once. I am not the best machinist, but it seemed more trouble than it was worth. It did work though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom