BC/Wing Plate vs. Jacket-style BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
No more than a diver who trained and dived exclusively in a bp/wing would have the first time they tried to use a jacket BC, I bet.

I was talking about a real beginner. In any case, yes, a long time bp user may be uncomfortable, but what is there to learn except to tighten a few straps, which are self evident, a real beginner can figure it out in a few minutes. To set up a bp/wing you have to ask lots of questions, look at pictures, dig up SB threads or get instruction from an expert. The huge amount of written material on the intricacies of setting up a BP attests to this.

Matthew:
As to being horizontal, its no guarantee. Adjustments still have to be made (tank and weight placement, type of BP) to achieve good trim, just like with a jacket although many say its easier to achieve on a bp/wing.

With a jacket though, I experience a slight but noticeable change in trim in relation to lung volume, but I consider it negligible for the easy dives I describe.
True, and when diving singles I usually have a pound or 2 in trim pockets, but it is easier. Like I said, from dive #1, without switchin anything around I noticed a HUGE difference.

And I was even swiching from a back inflate to a BP/wing. Never even owned a jacket. 4 check dives + 3 more local dives with a rental were enough for me to decide that I hated jacket BCs. At the time I was already reading all the posts on this board, and I my first rig after on 7 dives almost was a BP, but for some reason I decided to get the back inflate instead.

ndavy
If you're interested in purueing tech diving there is absolutely no reason to buy a Transpac. You may save a few $$$ now, but in the future that rig is going to go up on ebay, when you are ready to buy your first BP. Wouldn't you rather spend a few extra $$$ now and get a rig that you will use for the rest of your life?

There are many divers out there who dive a BPs without much ditchable weight without any problems, but that debate is whole other train wreck of a thread. Just get an AL plate instead of SS.

Matthew:
I was talking about a real beginner.
So was I. I'm aware of a number of OW classes taught exclusively in bp/wing setups.

It would be interesting to put a bunch of these guys in jacket BC's and a bunch of "regular" OW guys in bp/wings for their first dive out of OW class. I bet neither group would have any trouble with their BCs.

And BTW, there is absolutely room for more than one point of view, and I respect your opinion.

everytime I go away for "fun" diving I have to laugh at most of the people I'm diving with all week. While I'm hovering horizontally above the reef, other divers are running the NYC Marathon accross it, or flappin their arms all over the place, or they're all over the place in general, kicking up silt, etc.

And I'm always the only one in a BP. Part of it is skills, and bad weight distribution, and overweighting, but it's simply easier to control buoyancy with a BP, and even the worst divers I have seen in a BP have always had better trim than those in a jacket.[/QUOTE]

I just have to ring in on this one. C'mon guys, this is really a generalization. I dive with a jacket (SCUBAPRO CLASSIC), and my weight and trim are precisely as they should be. I'm horizontal, hovering, and I generally surface with three times as much air as anybody else. It's not the BC, it's the diver. I do agree, however that more needs to be taught to new learners about bouyancy, but then, that's why we continue our training with more advanced classes, isn't it? How much can one learn in a single class?
Getting a c-card is tantamount to a drivers license. It only gives us the basics. It does NOT make us "good divers." We have to practice, get more training, use what we learn, etc.
So, I'm from the school that says no matter what style of BC one uses, he/she should learn to use it as well as it CAN be used before assuming it's substandard and moving on to something else.
I reiterate: perhaps there are anatomical differences among individuals that make one device better over the other for specific people. Until we know that for certain, or not, it's basically whatever works for whoever is using it.

Originally Posted by SeaKat
Case in point, can you use a jacket BC in a dry suit? Maybe but I'm not sure it makes sense

Rick Murchison:
Odd perception that... jackets & drysuits work just fine together. Can't imagine why they wouldn't. (Well, I guess a tropical jacket might be a bit strange, but a "regular" jacket works just fine, thank you)
Rick

For the record, I did not say that which was attributed to me above.
SeaKat

, or I might take offense at your comment about their wreck course.

People take courses for several reasons: to learn new skills, to brush up on old ones, or to build confidence.
One size does not generally fit all, and so it is important to understand what the OUTCOMES are of any course before taking it. Before signing up, ask your Instructor precisely WHAT you will be able to DO differently at the end of the course.
If he/she can't answer that question, then you might want to spend some time perusing the materials to see if YOU can figure it out.
If the wreck course, for example (or any other one) doesn't work for you, then perhaps you shouldn't have been taking it in the first place.

Mandy3206:
Testy?

Don't ask about bungied wings, that's spicy at least.....................

hmmm...you've piqued my curiosity....tell me more?
:)))

Back
Top Bottom