bcd for petite diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A VERY THIN lady friend of mine (I'm THICK so I feel saying VERY THIN) who also is sans-curves was lamenting your very same problem recently.

I was doing some backplate and wings switching around (Went south for the winter) and readjusted one of my backplates and harnesses setup for her. It was primarily just so she could see what the BP/Wings felt like, but as soon as she put it on, a smile came across her face. That look of contentment should be bottled and sold.

I will not harp anymore about the BP/Wings combination except to say this. The reason I got one was that there were no BC's that fit my short-barrel chest. For my friend, there were no BC's that fit her relatively straight lined-thin frame. The BP/Wing is essentially infinitely adjustable. The same BP/Wing that fit me when I was going 250-260# fit her at 98#.

Nuff said.

Windknot

sangria:
I agree Ladyhawk is the way to go

Check out a small Oceanic Isla. I am 5'4, 125lbs and wear a medium. It's a great BC made for women and very comfortable. Lift Capacity is about 21 lbs. I had one and loved it but it didn't have enough lift capacity for cold water so I went to a Seaquest Diva. (34lb lift capacity). I like the diva but miss my Isla. I had my LDS change out the inflator hose on my diva to an Oceanic inflator hose because I didn't like the feel of the Seaquest and it didn't dump air very well. The Oceanic inflator hose works great. Good luck finding the right BC for you.

I had the same problem with rental gear and the overall fit of the BCD. I settled on the Genesis Athena BCD after trying all the ones mentioned in various threads about ladies style BCDs. I would suggest you simply go around to the stores and try on each one.

I selected the Genesis Athena BCD because it fit me like a glove. The lift is not too low but not exceptionally high either. The integrated weight pockets being up toward the front really helped take the weight off my hips and back, which used to be very uncomfortable. When I am in the water, I don't even know it is on me. Great fit at a good price. Good luck!!

I had a Seaquest Diva in a size small until Thursday night when my exboyfriend stole all my diving gear. This BC is brilliant as it was designed for the woman. I am 5ft 3" and a size 10 UK

Ladies, I have fitted several female divers and have found that Sherwood Athena and the Genesis Luna are fine for recreational diving. How ever it is best to find out what type of diving the lady plans on doing and go from there. For cold water and aggressisve bcd's that can be accesorized and expanded for greater use. THE GENESIS RECON is on of the best bcds around. I have found it much more comfortable and enjoyable then Zeagle, USD and SP. and affordable for what it offers. one of the best options is the fact that you can get it in either a 75 lb bladder or 45 bladder. COUNTER BALLANCE weights make it more comfortable then the zeagle on the surface as well. shoulder straps are wide in order to minimized the pull the shoulders. go to the GENESIS web site and check out the RECON and then find a local dealer to check them out.

I am 5 feet tall, and have found that backplate / wing setup is the best choice i have made. I was able to try the backplate before buying it and i was surprised on the confort it gave. I think you should try several types before decide.

Very fast and easy to control de buoyancy, but it takes some time (3 - 4 dives) to get used to it, and to the crocht stap. Its also a little bit more difficult to take it off in the water, but is something you can manage with the use.

Mine is halcyon ss backplate and pionner 27lbs wing. (no more weight belts, i sometimes just have to add 3 lbs to the arness belt... very nice).

let us know what you decide....

Hi Petite, my wife is petite as well (5'2"). Whe's been diving the Zeagle concept for 8 years and loves it. Best feature of a Zeagle is that it's modular so you can use XS straps with Small harness etc. Also back floatation is a consideration to avoid "crowding" around the waist. She's done over 200 dives with it, both warm and the not-so warm water of BC Canada. Good luck.

I used a standard BC untill my husband purchased a TransPac2 with Trek wings for me. All I can say, I wish I would have bought it years ago! Being small and a top heavy (5' and 36D) the TransPac is an awesome fit. I've used it with a 7mm suit to a dive skin with no binding or pinching (across the chest). It took a couple of dives to get use to, not being sure how much air I had in the wings by expecting the dreaded squeeze of a regular BC. The TransPac is also easier to get on and off than a regular BC. It's light weight and you can switch wings depending on your dives, also it takes up less room in the dive bag. It's a little pricey, but well worth it.

Vickie

Petitediver, I too have a small frame. At under 5'2 and less than 100 lbs, and without the body of a stripper, I searched for BCDs far and wide. I tried on and dove many. All of which, even the small and extra small left to much excess everywhere. I even tried children's BCs in the beginning. My first BCD was a xs Diva; but, I looked at a backplate and wing primarily for the custom fit and found that nothing fits or dives better. NOTHING. There is no floatation device up around my ears at the surface. No tugging at straps to tighten things up - only to find that they may loosen through the dive or feel like I can't take a full breath because the cumberbun is too tight in order to keep from swimming out of it. AND, it doesn't matter what water temperature your diving warm or cold (where does that comment come from - like it's gonna shrink??? What?) the BP&W will fit and work. And, contrary to what some may think or tell you, BP&Ws are not reserved for the most technical and dangerous diving. The point of a BP&W is that you can dive your gear in any environment. ANY. You don't need to consider if you are only recreational, or only a warm water diver (that one still throws me). Keep in mind though that you can't just try on a BP&W and see how it feels. It must be fitted to you. And, you won't know how well you like it until you dive one. Trying on a properly fitted BP&W will allow you to see how nice it is not to be strapped into all that "bunting" just to go diving. Your chest area will be free of things normally on other BCs that might get in the way. The straps WILL NOT loosen on a dive. The shape will not re-adjust and give you a feeling that everything has shifted. You will also learn, when diving a BP&W, that you don't need all that excess. The main consideration with a BP&W that you need to be concerned with is the amount of lift you need from your wing; diving single or doubles - that kinda thing. I think your search is the best thing before investing in a BCD. However, diving the gear really tells you more about it. And, one dive on any BC won't really tell you enough. BUT I strongly urge you not to make a decision on your purchase until you have explored the option of a BP&W. If you do, you've probably cheated yourself. Good luck. BTW if you are interested in discussing the BP&W further, PM me. I would be happy to discuss any questions or comments, or concerns you might have. R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom