BCD Grommets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WonderSlug

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy All

Im looking modify a BCD and place some attachment points for dive knife etc. and Im wondering where I can pick up some of the metal grommets they usually put on such points.

Also anyone have any pointers on installing them?

Thanks
-=WonderSlug

WonderSlug once bubbled...
Howdy All

Im looking modify a BCD and place some attachment points for dive knife etc. and Im wondering where I can pick up some of the metal grommets they usually put on such points.

Also anyone have any pointers on installing them?

Thanks
-=WonderSlug
...has grommet kits that come with a punch, a block of wood, and a supply of grommets. I don't think they are SS though...

Try www.mcmaster.com - they should have the bits you need. Usually they are installed using a machine, but you can get a pair of specific hand dies that mate up with the particular sized grommets you have, and you can strike them with a hammer to install. If using hand tools you will probably have to punch a hole first. Might be cheaper to get it done at an upholsterers. That was my family's business when I was a kid - I've installed hundreds, but you need the right tools to do it. The cost of buying the tools probably outweighs the convenience of doing it yourself.

Try McMaster anyway - they may have cheap tools for the job as well.

I added grommets to the pocket on my wetsuit. I bought the kit at the hardware store for a few bucks. Comes with the 2 sides of the grommets, a block of wood, and a little metal punching device. Cost less than $10. You might want to try a marine supply store to see if they sell SS grommets.

Of course, I was thinking about commercial applications having done that in the past :rolleyes: Didn't even think about the kits you can get.

If you do find some grommet kits, I would suggest you "waste" a few and practice on something you don't mind distroying. I would also drop a couple of them in a jar of saltwater and let them set a couple of days, followed by a few days in the dry without washing them off. Just to see what reaction they have to saltwater. I would sure hate to add them to a nice BC only to find they were plated and start to rust like crazy when exposed to a salt enviroment.

I have added several grommets to my BCD. Lots of good advice above.

I used brass grommets. I tried to find Stainless Steel, but was not successful.

Definitely practice on something you don't care about.

I haven't looked in McMaster-Carr yet, but http://www.paragear.com should have some SS grommets.
They'll be in the Rigger's Section.
You'll note that the SS come as "spur" grommets, not the roll over style of the brass.SS would be too "crisp" to roll over well.
SS are normally installed with a press but you should also be able to do an acceptable job with the punch & die.

Howdy all

Thanks for all the feedback.

I finally got to home depot and they had a kit for $8.00 or so for solid brass 1/4" grommets, punch, and die.

I have not applied em to the BCD yet (doing a rust tests on em just to be sure).

Im now trying to determine if its worth it going with SS vs Solid brass? Any opinions?

Thanks
-=WonderSlug

I would go with the Brass.

As you saw at Home Depot, the brass grommets and installation tools are inexpensive. They will work just fine.

I have had several brass grommets on my current BCD for about a year (50 dives). No problems.

Grommets come in different sizes and the tools only work on one size. Make sure you get the size and tool that you need.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom