BCD Inflator Flange help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the input guys. I drew something up on what i was thinking of doing. I believe my bcd has the fitting glued on. Since i only have the one bcd, not willing to run the risk of ruining it should it fail.View attachment 183593

The inner threads would screw around the current fitting allowing the o-ring to still be used, and the outer threads would allow the inflator to be attached. The thickness of the adapter would allow it to be hidden. Also, should there be and issue, i can just take the adapter off and use the OE inflator

Looks like a reasonable and fairly simple solution. I like it.

For what it's worth, I've fixed a couple of old BCs by cutting out the inflators and installing new ones. It's remarkably easy to do but almost always ends up looking like a hack job. I think your solution will be a better choice.

The only time I consulted a "professional" about a BCD issue I got a song and dance and a "buy a new one" story. I fixed it myself. Lasted 15 years with no issues.

Your probably right, a professional may not want to handle it but maybe the OP could get some advice.

---------- Post added May 9th, 2014 at 11:15 AM ----------

Thanks for the input guys. I drew something up on what i was thinking of doing. I believe my bcd has the fitting glued on. Since i only have the one bcd, not willing to run the risk of ruining it should it fail.View attachment 183593

The inner threads would screw around the current fitting allowing the o-ring to still be used, and the outer threads would allow the inflator to be attached. The thickness of the adapter would allow it to be hidden. Also, should there be and issue, i can just take the adapter off and use the OE inflator

I don't think it will work. Unless BCs are different then wings there is a flat fitting that makes a friction seal against a gasket. I would guess that it would be bigger too. Make sure you check everything before cutting.

Can you show me a pic of the fitting you are talking about ams511? I am not sure what i would be cutting, unless you are talking about the plastic i would be using to make the adapter.

To clarify what i mean by hidden. Anyone would not be able to tell the adapter was installed without knowing the inflator mounting flanges are different diameters

instead of an o-ring, you may need a flat washer (still a rubber material) as you will possibly be not having the "sealing face" due to your fabricated nipple.

Despite all the mumbo-jumbo, isn't this a simple PTD elbow? Which one has the proprietary threads, the BCD or the LPI? What about swapping out elbows?

Yeah, it is a washer. I did swap out the elbows, and it does work. Just thinking of how i can minimize any issues with a malfunction. Like a gasket failure or the inflator failing. If the unit fails, that is fine. But i don;t want it to fail and be screwed because it failed due to swapping out parts.

there isn't much that goes "wrong' in any of the common stuff, hence the generic parts availability and interchangeability......

what sucks is when a manufacturer makes his stuff proprietary.....

there isn't much that goes "wrong' in any of the common stuff, hence the generic parts availability and interchangeability......

what sucks is when a manufacturer makes his stuff proprietary.....

Both true. diameter of the mounting point and # of threads too. What i am saying is i don't want to create a point of failure within the inflator itself by modifying it. Less likely to have a failure where the gasket and flange are.

Came up with a new design which incorporates a second gasket, should it be neededView attachment TUSA Inflator to Oceanic BCD Adapter V2.pdf

Here is the prototype repair kit I am assembling for BCD Repair.

IMG_000117.JPG
IMG_000414.JPG
IMG_000621.JPG
IMG_000713.JPG
IMG_000815.JPG
IMG_000913.JPG

The Kit will have: Internal Flange / Rubber Seal / Outer Washer
Photo #1 shows all of the parts.
Photo #2 shows threaded internal flange (these were made to repair SQ BCD) 2-1/4" Hole.
Photo #3 shows a cap cover (original black, made white).
Photo #4 shows an assembled kit using just a cap cover.
Photo #5 shows an assembled kit using I/D Connector
Photo#6 shows the order of assembly.

---------- Post added October 20th, 2014 at 10:02 AM ----------

I am in the process of making my own repair kit for 4 SQ BCD's that are in excellent condition but all of the Inflator and Dump Valve internal flanges deteriorated.
My kit will be the Internal Flange with a Threaded Boss to connect the Inflator / Dump Assembly with an Outer Sealing Ring that the Inflator /Dump Assembly will compress onto the BCD fabric and the Internal Flange to make a complete seal that does not require any adhesives.
I eventually want to adhere the Internal Flange to the BCD, but I have yet to obtain an adhesive that I feel would be the proper combination for the material I am using.

---------- Post added October 18th, 2014 at 11:25 PM ----------

The best way to remove the still attached pieces of the old internal flange is to heat the area with a hair dryer set on high (you can heat it from the outside).
While still hot to very warm use a small plastic tool as the ones that come with 2 part epoxy for mixing, or a popsicle stick to scrap off the remnants of the old flange.
Then with a small piece of medium to fine grit sandpaper give it a little scouring to help with the adhesion of your bonding agent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom