Beach 8th Street questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Am wondering if anyone has dived Beach 8th St. in NYC lately? I haven't dived there since 2010 and wonder if diving is still permitted. Parking still OK in that "loop"? Thanks in advance.

I live very close to there. I dove there in the 1990s. That beach was heavily damaged by Hurricane Sandy and is no longer used as much as it was prior to Sandy.
Many condo units have been built there. Parking is, well not very good. Best to get there early and or carpool. I expect to do some practice beach dives there this Summer. Hope that helps.

Am wondering if anyone has dived Beach 8th St. in NYC lately? I haven't dived there since 2010 and wonder if diving is still permitted. Parking still OK in that "loop"? Thanks in advance.
Parking is nearly impossible and the area is in the top 10 worst police precinct by crime statistics -if you are in an illegal spot you will get ticketed or towed… no question.

But diving is actually pretty good viz wise and the cages and lines are still there. The fishermen on the pier are usually pretty good about avoiding you if you use a dive flag/float (which is required by state law).

My dive shop did a cleanup there last year- but have not been in the water there this year.

Parking is nearly impossible and the area is in the top 10 worst police precinct by crime statistics -if you are in an illegal spot you will get ticketed or towed… no question.
It is the 101 Precinct.
Again, car pool for the win. Arrive early.

If we dived a week day (Fri.) would the parking in that loop be better?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom