Question Only Instructor wears dive computer (extra charge if I want one)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keno.hng

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there, for some perspective I am quite new to diving and finished my advanced Open Water Diver in December.
I am now on vacation and wanted to do a wreck dive, but the dive Center I wanted to do it with charges 50$ extra If I want a dive computer.
It’s 2 tank dive with one to the wreck and one to a reef.
I haven’t done a dive without it being a lesson yet and I wondered If it’s normal and If I’ll be fine without a computer.
Thanks in Advance for your answers!

Hi there, for some perspective I am quite new to diving and finished my advanced Open Water Diver in December.
I am now on vacation and wanted to do a wreck dive, but the dive Center I wanted to do it with charges 50$ extra If I want a dive computer.
I haven’t done a dive without it being a lesson yet and I wondered If it’s normal and If I’ll be fine without a computer.
Where is this?

It's not normal and should not be acceptable.

Whether or not it is safe depends on the dive profiles. It's certainly possible the dives fit within the dive tables. Ask them what is the max depth and bottom time for each dive and how long is the surface interval.

If the only way to do this safely is as a multilevel dive then I would not do it. If you decide to ignore this advice (and all the upcoming advice) and do it anyway, then you need to make sure that you stay at the same level or shallower than the DM for the entire dive.

And make sure you buy a computer and learn how to use it before your next trip. Or even right now if one is available. The cheapest you can find that can handle Nitrox is perfectly fine as far as safety goes.

So, I'm not really seeing a question.

That they are charging you to rent a computer totally makes sense. The equipment costs them money and your use reduces its lifespan...they are right to charge you something to rent one.

As for "normal", many resort areas are used to people coming without computers. Often, provided the dives are relatively shallow and are well guided, it isn't completely uncommon for them to offer a dive where you don't have a computer.

As for "safe", I won't do a dive without my own computer.

As a diver, the obligation for safety is really on you. If you don't feel safe without a computer, rent one. If you don't feel safe with the operator, don't dive with them.

So, I'm not really seeing a question.

That they are charging you to rent a computer totally makes sense. The equipment costs them money and your use reduces its lifespan...they are right to charge you something to rent one.
$50 is not a normal charge for a computer rental. For a week it would be fine, but it's completely unreasonable for a day.

I agree, but $50 for one day is a lot of $.

In the long run it's cheaper to buy one if you are planning to continue to dive.

Welcome to ScubaBoard @Keno.hng

I would say that most of what you describe is very normal.

To all the places I have been that do daily trips, operators assume 3 options:
A. Divers have no DC for themselves and rely on the guide's DC, or
B. Divers bring their own DC, or
C. Divers want to use a DC but don't bring one, hence they rent one.

The most common is option A, then B and I've rarely seen C.

Most posters here in ScubaBoard might disagree with this, but most posters here are far from being the average new diver. Here most have at least 2 of the latest/mightiest shearwater DCs (and dive doubles, of course with BPW, multiple deco gases etc etc).

Now what doesn't look normal is the price quoted to the OP to rent a DC as 50$ seems indeed a bit high.
One explanation might be that the intended dives are easy enough (shallow, not too long, long surface interval etc) that the operator doesn't think a DC is needed, hence don't bother to stock enough rental DC. They ask so high price to deter customers from bothering them.

Now back to the OP. You will have this dilema every time you dive. Even if you decide to rent a DC don't expect that anybody will bother to explain you much of how to use it (knowing what your DC is telling you is THE most important thing of using one). Even if they do bother explaining you, you will not remember most during the dive.

The solution? Of course get your own DC! You can get a decent new dive computer for about 300$. Second hand much cheaper. And of course you can get better ones with more budget.

If you see yourself diving for more than few times in your life time - start investing in your own gear. DC should be high up in your list.

Just my 2c as always...

If you plan to dive more, buy your own computer. Even the cheapest is good enough (although nitrox should be in it, sind the computer probably will live longer as it takes for you to learn to dive nitrox).

Even if you plan to dive with tables, you'll need you own time measuring device and a depth gauge. (A cheap computer will cost probably the same). I don't trust logs, unless I know where the input comes from. (There are actually 1 or 2 non trustworthy DM/Instructors in the industry)

Since you have committed yourself enough to spend that money on AOWC, a Mask, a Wetsuit, and a Dive Computer is the bare minimum one should consider buying for personal use. Rest can be rented especially in APAC warm water regions… I would ideally add a pair of Fins to the list unless you want to travel really light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom