Question Only Instructor wears dive computer (extra charge if I want one)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While this is true, this is still supposedly a thread in response to his question. Obviously this thread has been hijacked, but we need not all go along with the hijack. Part of the reason the OP may not have re-posted here is bc he may have read some of the responses and decided they were not helpful to him.
No, his user profile says he has not looked at ScubaBoard since his OP.

No, his user profile says he has not looked at ScubaBoard since his OP.

He may have not been logged in and still read the never ending back and forth on whether they should teach decompression theory and/or tables in OW and decided this thread wasnt helpful to him.

He may have not been logged in and still read the never ending back and forth on whether they should teach decompression theory and/or tables in OW and decided this thread wasnt helpful to him.
Yes, that's possible. But the first 20 or so post were right on target....he he does not appear to have read any of those.

Reactions: L13
I don't have to use a slide rule because I have a calculator. I don't have to paddle the boat because I have a motor. I don't have to use tables because I have a DC. I don't have to sail around the world because we have planes. I don't have to walk to the airport because I have a car. I don't have to yell across the neighborhood because we have cellphones. If these pieces of technology fail, I'll be happy to revert to the old ways.

In a dystopian world he would have FrogMen-In-Black wetsuits and hoodies and dark tinted scuba masks knocking on his front door with spearguns in hand … “We heard you had some questions for us … <ahem> do you need any further clarifications? We are here to get this sorted out in case you’ve had any difficulty in logging in…” :cool::cool:

But it’s ok really because we all love chatting away endlessly here even if no one is listening …:grouphug2:

I admit I have not read through the entire thread but I run a dive center so here is my two bar:

Many dive centers rent dive computers. They will tell you the cost of the dives, say "two dives with complete gear" but then tell you a computer is extra. If the computer is extra, they are in fact, not renting you full gear.

At my dive center, we decided that full gear meant just that, full gear and a dive computer is included. Relying on the instructor or dive guide is dangerous and should never be done. It is taught in the open water course to never share a computer or rely on your buddies computer but we see dive centers around the world do this all the time.

I tell all my new divers the first two pieces of gear they should buy is a good fitting mask and a computer. Knowing what that computer is telling you and where to find the information you need when on a dive is key which is why constantly renting different computers is suboptimal at best.

Back
Top Bottom