Beach dive planning thoughts.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
This one might give you some more to chew on.
Thanks UP!

This begins the continuing education on deco. I think a cover-to-cover read of BRW's book on decompression theory will have to be a "priority read" in the near future for me.

Is there a book that you find particularly helpful in explaining the theory behind deco methods?

I'm talking about something that can teach you the academics behind it, not something that would replace the proper training one would get by taking a class. I'm not looking for shortcuts here, just a road to better understanding which will culminate in taking the proper instruction.

Christian

Uncle Pug:
I've got BRWs book but every time I try to read it I fall to sleep. :D
Yeah... I've heard that quite a few times. Very "science minded" is what I understand.

Since I read technical manuals and books about networking equipment all the time, I think I might be able to get through it and understand it if I just read it slowly.

What can I say, I'm a nerd! :wink:

Thanks.

Christian

Uncle Pug:
This one might give you some more to chew on.
Thanks Uncle Pug, I was looking for that one but couldn't find it! More food to chew, YUM!
Robert

headhunter:
Thanks UP!

This begins the continuing education on deco. I think a cover-to-cover read of BRW's book on decompression theory will have to be a "priority read" in the near future for me.

Is there a book that you find particularly helpful in explaining the theory behind deco methods?

I'm talking about something that can teach you the academics behind it, not something that would replace the proper training one would get by taking a class. I'm not looking for shortcuts here, just a road to better understanding which will culminate in taking the proper instruction.

Christian

Not to completely hijack this thread, but you could try "Getting Clear on the Basics: The Fundamentals of Technical Diving." Jarrod goes quie in depth into deco history and theory. I also have quite a few links to websites that go into theiry also. P.M. me and I'll give you the links.

robertphillips5:
Not to completely hijack this thread, but you could try "Getting Clear on the Basics: The Fundamentals of Technical Diving." Jarrod goes quie in depth into deco history and theory. I also have quite a few links to websites that go into theiry also. P.M. me and I'll give you the links.
PM sent.

Christian

divebuddysean:
That's what happened. I am aware of how it works so I knew I would have to do the additional time. I was hoping it would be reduced when I went up, but I can see my tissue saturation was over 100% until I finished the extended stop. Is going into deco always a bad thing? Is it a line you never cross? If your going to do the time, can you do the crime?

Sean

Sound a little defensive here, I was just offering an observation. If you knew you were going into deco, knew you had adequate gas to manage the situation (although you say you were "lucky", I don't like equating luck with diving, especially deco stuff), and have good buoyancy skills to do stops (if you are in blue or mid water) then more power to you.

There's nothing wrong with dives that incur deco obligations (as opposed to deco diving, to please UP :) ) as long as you know that's what you are doing, have te gas, planned for contingencies, etc

I don't know all the players here... the original post made it sound as if it was a mistake or unknown deco

Chris

Sorry Chris, didn't mean to be defensive. I just wanted to stay down a little longer.
Although my buddy had extra air I probably should have just ascended when the time was right. I was amazed at how fast my obligation ran up. Fortunately everything worked out.

Sean

Uncle Pug:
I've got BRWs book but every time I try to read it I fall to sleep. :D

I've been reading it too.

I suspect that in his genius mind, BRW had to start at the start, which for him is individual molecules, and the many laws of physics.

Most of the material I remember from college inorganic chem 101. But that was a long time ago, and I am not a chemist, not now.

divebuddysean:
Sorry Chris, didn't mean to be defensive. I just wanted to stay down a little longer.
Although my buddy had extra air I probably should have just ascended when the time was right. I was amazed at how fast my obligation ran up. Fortunately everything worked out.

Sean

Gotcha. Glad things worked out. I have had a dive or two like that..... :crafty:

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom