Becoming a PADI Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you RJP and thanks to everyone else. Another question:

For RPD test items, can I use the eRDPML device during the exam? Or can I use an iPhone IOS app that will computes RPD details? Any recommendations on what iPhone app to use for RDP questions, particularly Multilevel dive? Beats using a table.

Its been a little while since I worked on an IDC but I believe it is still the case that you will be told what device you should do your calculations on and the ERDPml will definitely be one of them.

Going back to the question you had earlier about open book exams, RJP correctly informed you that the standards part is open book. That is however only half of the exam, the other half - the actual theory section is not open book.

Thanks Scooby for the clarification.

---------- Post added January 9th, 2015 at 12:06 PM ----------

Did any of you take your IE on a BP/W and long hose setup? How did you handle weight belt removal and gear removal?

Did any of you take your IE on a BP/W and long hose setup? How did you handle weight belt removal and gear removal?

i suggest you use a standard recreation BCD. You need to consider the other candidates who will alternately be your student and your instructor (and your IE) who may/probably will not be familiar with BP/W.

No one is a bigger BP/W fan than I am. i was going to use BP/W but was given the advice above... and it was spot on. You want to do everything you can to ensure a high probability of success; anything that doesn't help that, detracts from that.

Remember, it's not about your diving ability or style. It's about your ability to teach.

Last edited:
For RPD test items, can I use the eRDPML device during the exam? Or can I use an iPhone IOS app that will computes RPD details? Any recommendations on what iPhone app to use for RDP questions, particularly Multilevel dive? Beats using a table.

So you want to become an instructor, but want to shortcut your way through some table problems? Really? You do understand that the POINT of you doing the table exercises is so you can then be able to explain your students how to do them ... Nice start, really think hard about the way you are approaching this.

---------- Post added January 9th, 2015 at 09:44 AM ----------

Remember, it's not about your diving ability or style. It's about your ability to teach.

Let me correct that:

"Remember, it's not about your diving ability or style. It's about your ability to conform to the PADI and IDC way of things"

There ya go, that sounds about right :p

So you want to become an instructor, but want to shortcut your way through some table problems? Really? You do understand that the POINT of you doing the table exercises is so you can then be able to explain your students how to do them ... Nice start, really think hard about the way you are approaching this.

So you believe that using the eRDPML is a "short cut"? Let's be honest, shall we? In the year 2015, using a "table" instead of the eRDPML or the iPhone version to teach students is almost irresponsible. Why? Because that is no longer the real world. Especially if that student happens to be younger than about 35 or 40.

I'd much rather have a student be able to use their iPhone to plan dives than a plastic card. The electronic tools are simply easier, so there's a far, far better chance that they will ACTUALLY use them and ACTUALLY plan the dives they do after they get certified.

When was the last time you personally used a plastic RDP table to plan a dive outside of a course?

At some point in time... using the RDP table was probably considered "a short cut" too.

---------- Post added January 9th, 2015 at 10:44 AM ----------

Let me correct that:

"Remember, it's not about your diving ability or style. It's about your ability to conform to the PADI and IDC way of things"

There ya go, that sounds about right :p

Which agency's way of doing things do you think PADI should expect a PADI instructor to conform to?

I have a "wheel" if anyone one wants to teach that.......[emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice start, really think hard about the way you are approaching this.

I think the OP is asking questions about how best to approach the task in hand which in my book comes under preparation and planning which is a good thing. I do not think he is trying to find shortcuts just trying to establish a game plan.

I also think you need to drink less caffeine or something

Remember to read the membership standards and abide by those as well. I am sure that all the people participating in this thread will agree that during the IDC and IE you should abide especially by the one in which you agree to
Not disparage the PADI organization, PADI Members or any other dive industry professionals.

If you run into a PADI professional who is regularly attacking PADI in public forums like, say, ScubaBoard, the IDC and IE are not the times to be emulating that example.

The "required" PADI Crew Pack is expensive. Does it include the manuals for OW, AOW, DM etc, ? My pack doesn't include them. Just wondering if they're really not part of the package. Also no RDP table but lots of cue cards. Haven't opened up everything yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom