Becoming a PADI Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you believe that using the eRDPML is a "short cut"? Let's be honest, shall we? In the year 2015, using a "table" instead of the eRDPML or the iPhone version to teach students is almost irresponsible. Why? Because that is no longer the real world. Especially if that student happens to be younger than about 35 or 40.

Well, if you choose to teach TABLES, then you need to teach TABLES. My point is clearly that if one doesn't want to learn how to solve the table problems, that IS A SHORTCUT, since you will be the one teaching them. You are doing a disservice to your students because wether they later choose to use an iPhone app, or not use tables at all, that is their prerogative. But you as an instructor should know how to teach table usage since PADI still offers that as an educational option for OW. Period, simple as that. Too hard to understand? Someone who wants to TEACH, doesn't want to go through the "hard work" of learning how to teach that portion of the course. I find that represents the majority of dive instruction, unfortunately.

The eRDPml is only ever used by DiveMaster candidates, and Instructor candidates. I have never seen anyone use such a contraption outside of professional levels. I guess someone is selling the OW pack that includes them (sigh), since PADI keeps trying to push it. Don't know the numbers really. Still, because PADI offers it, you need to learn how to use it.

When was the last time you personally used a plastic RDP table to plan a dive outside of a course?

Never, even for the multitude of tech dives I perform, I am using Multideco as my main tool. But I do know and regularily teach tables as well as computer usage. I find tables help people understand in the end how a computer works (because they basically do the same thing). And there is no black box syndrome.

Which agency's way of doing things do you think PADI should expect a PADI instructor to conform to?
[/quote]

It's not about another agency. It's about a course designed with a different mindset (the IDC) than what most people expect. It is not about diving, or really about teaching that much. It's about conforming to the PADI way of doing things (, including (and particularily) the sales pitch. If you believe prescriptive learning is a "modern ground breaking method of teaching" as PADI sells it during the IDC, you need to read a bit more on education. Sorry to tell you.

The IDC is a process about making you conform to a system, not about good teaching at all. That was the point of the sarcastic comment. But feel free to think otherwise. Im happy I can think different and assess my own viewpoint on things. Luckily my education system during my formative years taught me different.

ElGaucho, everyone on this thread, including you, is a DM or higher in the certification level. All of us grew up with PADI tables and we all know how to use it and teach it. Otherwise we (on this thread) wouldn't be where we are today, ie DMs, Instructors, CDs, etc. I've been a DM since the early 90s. For many years, tables were the only way to go since dive computers were too expensive.

I think you jumped into conclusion that one doesn't know how to use the table RDP just because a question was asked if the eRDP can be used during the IE (answer is yes, PADI allows it).

The "required" PADI Crew Pack is expensive. Does it include the manuals for OW, AOW, DM etc, ? My pack doesn't include them. Just wondering if they're really not part of the package. Also no RDP table but lots of cue cards. Haven't opened up everything yet.

No it does not include those manuals, those are manuals you should already have from your past training even though there have been updates to them. You will go over the new updates in your IDC you will also be taught how to access the PADI pro site to review all the training bulletins with updates over the years and for future updates.

There is no RDP included this is another item you should again have from previous training yes I understand some may only have been taught using computers but during your DM course you should have gone over tables and have had to purchase or been supplied on by your instructor.

Also make sure you have received the current updated O/W cue cards, there was an issue here in Thailand where PADI sent the suppliers with the new updated cue cards one shipment, then the next shipment they sent the old outdated O/W cue cards

I think you jumped into conclusion that one doesn't know how to use the table RDP just because a question was asked if the eRDP can be used during the IE (answer is yes, PADI allows it).

I might have jumped to conclusions in your particular case, that's why I noted to rethink your approach. it just sounded that way. But still that's not the point others made (the tables being outdated for example), which I believe is wrong. From what I remember you CANNOT use the eRDPml to solve many of the table problems because the numbers will not necessarily match (rounding is different I believe). And I can't remember if that is the case with the IE in particular, but I do know that for your DM exam, it clearly specifies which exercises should be taken with the eRDPml and which with the RDP and you can't swap them around. Any IDC Staff or higher who regularily conducts IDCs should be able to shine more light into that. My IDC was some years ago and my memory on that subject aint the best.

Regarding your crew pack, yes, it does NOT include RDP or eRDPml (and you need both for the exams from my understanding), no manuals from previous courses at all, or even cue cards (like Discover Scuba Diving which is part of the DM pack). You do get the OpenWater level, Advanced level, Rescue level and DM level cue cards. As someone already pointed out, make sure you DO get the updated (2013 I believe is the revision) for the new OW course.

I am not a guy set hard on "old technology", but the whole IDC process is about conforming to PADI's way of doing things; they borg you if you don't mind the nerdish analogy. Don't fight it, just get over it, and then use your own intelligence to take advantage of what's good (the system, many of the textbook stuff, the modularization of diving education, the support, etc) and weed out what's not so good (which generally is more about IDCs and CDs than it is about PADI and their standards, like knee teaching, etc). But the IDC and the IE is all about conforming. And then the IDC is all about passing the IE. It feeds on itself. Ride the rollercoaster as it's meant to be, and then you can pretty much understand that you can change around what you need.

The "required" PADI Crew Pack is expensive. Does it include the manuals for OW, AOW, DM etc, ? My pack doesn't include them. Just wondering if they're really not part of the package. Also no RDP table but lots of cue cards. Haven't opened up everything yet.

When I did my IDC last spring I got something called an "Instructor Starter Pack" or similar name. It included the standard Instructior Crew Pack but also came with the current OW Crew pack and some other things.

Note - do not lose or misplace the green hologram sticker that came with your IM. I wasn't told until the end that you need that on your IE application. By that time my 10yr old had already put it on a skateboard or his school locker or something. I needed to jump through all sorts of hoops and barrels at the last minute.

---------- Post added January 10th, 2015 at 11:22 AM ----------

Regarding your crew pack, yes, it does NOT include RDP or eRDPml and you need both for the exams from my understanding

You can use any PADI dive planning device for the Instructor exams: RDP card, eRDPML, Touch, or the computer simulator. I think the on,y thing you can't use is The Wheel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom