Becoming an Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not that Im in love with PADI but if your realy trying to make some sort of living at diving, well, Ya kinda have to get PADI certed or you will limit your options. Go ahead folks, bash away but that is the reality of it. Most shops Ive dealt with offer SSI, ect as options but not there primary business dealings.

Why you want become a Scuba Diving Instructor? :wink:
marusso:
Hi. I am currently an SSI Master Diver with about 100 logged dives. If I was to really go all out, how long, and what would it really take to become an SSI ow instructor.

Also what kind of costs are involved? I really appreciate any information that anyone may have to offer.

-Mike

I was a SSI Master Diver when I decided to go for Instructor. I didn't like the local SSI shop. I went to a NAUI Shop. It took about 6 months and over 2k for the NAUI Prep course (because I wasn't a DiveMaster) and the NAUI ITC. The shop I work with does want me to wear gear that they sell.

Best of luck,

I have to agree with Wildcard. I am not in love with PADI either but reality is reality.
Tim

marusso:
If I was to really go all out, how long, and what would it really take to become an SSI ow instructor.
Mike - Something to consider: Before asking about the stuff involved in becoming an AgencyX instructor, consider the ins and out of becoming a dive instructor. There are huge differences in the ways agencies approach instructors and their preparation.

The gear issues you describe do indeed reflect the SSI approach that the instructor is an extension of a particular dive store business plan. Other agencies view instructors more for the value as educators. Some agencies expect their instructors to follow the script that the agency provides; others teach their instructors to adapt their classes to different student needs, conditions, and working enviroments. Some agencies prepare their instructors to teach only OW, then re-qualify for advanced classes; other agencies prepare instructors to offer complete courses up to and including leadership. And truely, some agencies are held in higher regard than others in the industry.

There's a world of differences. Its fun teaching people to dive, and guiding others to become better divers. Its worth the time to look at the differences among the agencies and ask which is a better match for your own needs and life orientation.

Cheers

marusso:
Cool I did not see that hours part on the website.

I spoke with my LDS today, and he told me that it was $300 for books, $500 for course, plus I was required to buy an entire new set of gear from his diveshop even though my gear is instructor quality. It is simply not the brand he carries, and all this is for the divemaster cert. I feel like that would be a rip off costing somewhere in the realm of $2000-2500.

Is that normal?
Pretty much. The thing you're going to have to wrap your head around is that a DiveCon is there to help the customers and the shop. He's not selling you a cool C-Card (that you won't want to show on vacation anyway), he's training you to be an employee and help with dives, classes and sales.

Students oten buy things they see the staff using, so if you use his brand of equipment, he'll stand a better chance of selling it to the students.

Terry

Thanks for the input on the dive gear question. That makes sense about helping to sell to customers, however, you would think that then he would have a set of gear that he would have his instructors wear but not actually charge them, since he ultimately is the beneficiary. It seems like if dive shops want to push product, they should have their "sales team" covered. Just a thought.

So I guess the bottom line is that in order to become an OWI, no matter what, you have to jump through all the hoops. I currently run a business that serves and sells to the general public. I have a bachelors degree from University of South Carolina in Hospitality and Resort management. So where I really need the training and teaching is how to teach the proper fundamentals of diving in a safe and efficient manner verses learning how to be a good dive shop employee.

My ultimate goal, when all is said and done is to actually open a dive shop of my own. I live in Hilton Head Island, SC. We get over 2,000,000 tourists a year so there should be a market for diving. Locals from surrounding areas drive an hour to Savannah to receive training and air fills etc.

I guess there isn't some "boot camp" to go to Florida for a few weeks where you can pay your money and learn the skills, then come home to practice with the LDS.

Mike

Actually, I have seen ads for instructor courses in Fl, but they were PADI. In PADI, once DM, basic instructor training is about one week followed by an exam. Some ads appear to indicate this is their timeframe.

goodluck

Well, I have to say that I stand corrected. I had no idea that there might be restrictions on the type of equipment that you would be allowed to use during a course like this. I'm very surprised.

When I was doing my DM and Instructor “internship” at the LDS it took over 4 years. The courses themselves are a matter of hundreds of hours. All things considered, not a very long time. The reason it took so long was I had a very good mentor/CD. Some could argue that I worked all of those years for him (a ½ day and one night a week) at the shop, for free – but, boy did I gain a lot of experience.

If I remember correctly DM was $600.00, Instructor was $1,500.00. Plus at Instructor level, you have to buy most of the Instructor training materials (could be as high as $2000.00). I was lucky, believe it or not I found a complete set online for $200.00. All current. All perfect condition.

All of the DM’s, Instructors were asked/requested to wear his brand. But, we got it at 40% off his list. As a full Instructor, I received my gear at cost plus shipping. The reason stated above about sales is correct, but another reason we got such “”good deals” on our equipment is that you beat the crap out of it. You can easily go through 2 BC’s a year.

Now with that said, we had a fellow training for DM around the same time that I was. He had different equipment. It was agreed that once his equipment wore out, then he would get the deal on the new “stuff”.

Quite frankly, this is one of the reasons that I am an independent Instructor. I’m not crazy about the concept of Instructor selling equipment. The way I approach it now is I will be a “consultant “to my students. I’ll help them make the right decision for them. I don’t make a dime on equipment.

Also, I'd advise against the "quickie" approach "90 days and your an Instructor". If you plan on Instructing in NC get your training in NC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom