Been to Phuket/Phi Phi & Pattaya; in a week should we go to Koh Lanta, Koh Lipe, Koh Tao, etc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Volleyball

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Found good flight deals to Bangkok, land on the 21st month. Was considering staying in one place for about a week or possibly a few nights in two locations, what are your recommendations for May?

Where is your flight lands?
It is near the end of the season in the West Coast.
East coast should be better but it is quite a distance to travel from either Bangkok or Phuket. Depending on your arrival time, a flight to Koh Samui would save you some time.
If you only has 7 days in the country, stay in one place.
Koh Tao is my suggestion.

Only until 14th May.

If diving is NOT your priority then Khao Lak is a good alternative. It is only about 2hrs by bus from Phuket Bus Terminal 2.

I land from the US at Suvarnabhumi, there's a free shuttle that goes to Bangkok's other airport DMK, and not a big deal to fly to Phuket, Krabi, or Koh Samui/Tao). I land on the 19th (Thailand) of this May

You can do expect rough seas on Thailand's Andaman Sea side as it's the start of monsoon season. Koa Tao or Ko Chang will have better conditions but the diving isn't as good.

Last year I dived for 3 weeks from Koh Lanta i June. The marine park was open and we had fantastic diving with the best visibility ever some days. One day we had 3 different whale sharks in Koh Ha. It was great to dive in low season with almost no other diveboats around.
So going diving from Koh Lanta in May is great. Or at least it was last year.
And the marinepark is open.

You can do expect rough seas on Thailand's Andaman Sea side as it's the start of monsoon season. Koa Tao or Ko Chang will have better conditions but the diving isn't as good.
Koh Chang in May!!!
You do not know what you are talking!!!

You do not have much knowledge on Thailand.

I land from the US at Suvarnabhumi, there's a free shuttle that goes to Bangkok's other airport DMK, and not a big deal to fly to Phuket, Krabi, or Koh Samui/Tao). I land on the 19th (Thailand) of this May
You only has 7 days so every minute counts. Check with the connection flight(return) to Koh Samui(Koh Tao) and Krabi(Koh Lanta).
If you want a little bit of adventurous, fly to Hat Yai and onward to Koh Lipe.
You would not like the crossing if the sea is rough.

I visited Koh Chang two months ago and thunderstorm was quite frequent towards the end of my stay. Most restaurants etc on Lonely Beach were CLOSED.
I am pretty sure you will find bargain in May and have the resort all by yourself! Stay away.

Here are my follow-up questions...
-Best guess as to where whale sharks can be seen in late May?
-If I go to Koh Tao, should all my dives be in Hoh Tao or should I dive for a day or two in Koh Samui also?
-My west coast plan was to fly to Hat Yai to get to Koh Lipe for a couple of nights, then take a 3-hour ferry ride to Koh Lanta, but it's most likely going to be super choppy?

Here are my follow-up questions...
-Best guess as to where whale sharks can be seen in late May?
-If I go to Koh Tao, should all my dives be in Hoh Tao or should I dive for a day or two in Koh Samui also?
-My west coast plan was to fly to Hat Yai to get to Koh Lipe for a couple of nights, then take a 3-hour ferry ride to Koh Lanta, but it's most likely going to be super choppy?
Whale shark was spotted on Koh Haa in Apr.

1. You can stay on Koh Tao and Koh Samui for the local dives.
2. If the sea is rough, speed boat may not run at all. There is no other way between Lipe and Lanta.

East coast would be a lot more sensible.

Good luck for the whale shark.

Whale shark was spotted on Koh Haa in Apr.

1. You can stay on Koh Tao and Koh Samui for the local dives.
2. If the sea is rough, speed boat may not run at all. There is no other way between Lipe and Lanta.

East coast would be a lot more sensible.

Good luck for the whale shark.

If I stuck to the east coast, how you recommend where I stay/dive, 50/50 with Koh Tao and Koh Samui? Also, any recommendations of dive resorts or hotels/dive shops?

Back
Top Bottom