Koh Tao in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyKSue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning a dive trip in July for 2 weeks with a few friends and saw that Koh Tao is supposedly a decent place to dive that time of year.
I have a number of questions and would love any input or suggestions:

We would be flying into Koh Samui and then going to Koh Tao-
So, do we split the two weeks and stay and dive in Koh Samui at all or just head to Koh Tao?

Is there a dive op someone can suggest on both Islands? Preferably smaller boats - not the Cattle boat type!
And what about accomodations? Does any of the dive ops offer packages that include rooms and diving?

I do want to do some land based stuff.
I like to see and enjoy the culture of where I am visiting but "nightlife" and "partying" isn't important.
I don't want completely "laid back" and have nothing to do but dive either.

I did see a few posts about diving in Kho Tao but not during July and some were quite old. Not sure if things have changed so am hoping for some updated, new info and help -

THANKS!

If you wanna go diving and to stuff on land other than party, Koh Tao isn't where I would go. The island is really tiny and it's basically all dive shops and bars. I haven't been in July but Koh Tao isn't exactly known for good diving or good viz. Look at some of the dive videos on youtube. Chumpon pinnicle is probably the best dive site.

Koh Tao is really a backpacker's party and cheap scuba class place.
It's great for when you're a backpacker that wants get into scuba for cheap and to get hammered with other kids on a gap year... for a dive trip and enjoying culture not so much.

Thanks for this info- So, what about if we just do Koh Tao for a few days then go somewhere else that would be easy to get to that has good diving in July and maybe some culture? Any suggestions on other places?

Thanks for this info- So, what about if we just do Koh Tao for a few days then go somewhere else that would be easy to get to that has good diving in July and maybe some culture? Any suggestions on other places?
I don't really know that many places in Thailand. For culture and diving I'd probably go to someplace on the west coast and skip the golf of Thailand altogether.

July is the right time to dive Koh Tao. It is the LOW season in the West coast because of the weather.
Diving from Samui can be expensive because of the distance in travelling eg. Koh Tao. Really make sense to use Koh Tao as base for scuba diving.
Koh Tao is neither a party nor backpacker island, you go to Koh Phangan for the infamous Full Moon Party. There are various types of hotels available to suit one's budget.
Ferry terminal in Koh Tao is in Mae Haad and Master Diver is my suggestion.

Definitely NO cattle boat.

BTW, I am also going to Koh Tao in the beginning of Jul 2024.

Koh Tao is neither a party nor backpacker island
Huh? I've worked there for 5 or 6 month and hardly seen anyone over 30 appart from the shop owners. It's been a few years... if it's not packed with backpackers anymore it has changed A LOT.

I don't really know that many places in Thailand. For culture and diving I'd probably go to someplace on the west coast and skip the golf of Thailand altogether.
But July is monsoon season on te West Coast/Andaman Sea side of Thailand. I'd bag Thailand altogether and go to Bali in July for great diving, weather, and culture. See my trip reports in the Indonesia sub-forum.

Huh? I've worked there for 5 or 6 month and hardly seen anyone over 30 appart from the shop owners. It's been a few years... if it's not packed with backpackers anymore it has changed A LOT.
I have only been there few times and there weren't that many youngsters on Master divers boat. Koh Tao is NOT a party island, her next door neighbour certainly is. If you had stayed in Mae Haad then you would had noticed the place is dead quiet in the evening.
You had worked on Koh Tao for several months but suggested diver to go to the West Coast in July!!! Do you know why the hotels in Phuket or anywhere else on the West coast eg. Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe are so cheap? LOL. There is a logical reason for that.

Koh Tao has changed since the pandemic. It’s moving up market with prices going up to match. Second Master Divers, I’ve used them 4 or 5.times; DJL is another smaller operator. If you stay on Koh Samui you’ll travel to Koh Tao to dive. The real low season when dive operators used to close is November. I was there last June when it was unusually wet, but we still dived 4 times a day.

Accommodation, from dorms to 5 star luxury is available, just look on Booking.com.

Thai culture, go to the mainland neither island is real Thailand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom