Beer and Liveabaords

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think they don't want the responsability of an incident happening due to a customer drunk because of the beer sold on board.

If it happens, it will be responsability of the customer, as he bought the beer by himself.

BTW, in the red sea beer is only allowed after the night dive. If you drink during the day, you are not allowed to dive.

cheers
Same here, so that really is not the point.

While we are on the topic, so is a Thai LB cheaper than the international touristy ones? Is the gear and equipment as good ? Approach to safety?

Sent from MiPad
(Beats the rotten Apple to the core...)

Anyone know why the Thai boats don't sell beer and other beverages on board?

Most Thai operators are not keen on nickel and diming their guests like virtually all liveaboards do, charging absurd amounts for the little things that make a great end to a long day of diving.

Thais are very sensitive to being ripped off. The operators know this and thus charge reasonable prices for their service and leave things like beer and booze up to the guests to bring themselves. Also, Asians in general are more apt to drink and eat family style. The boat owner appreciates it when someone offers him a drink or a smoke.

In turn, Thai guests appreciate not being F'd in the A and so are typically repeat customers and tell all their friends. I've had more fun on Thai Liveaboards than any other type of boat, even diving at crappy dive sites and not understanding 90% of the conversations. There's just a sense of camaraderie and level of socialization and informality that doesn't exist on boats that cater to westerners.

Thank You there... I changed my signature to be (hopefully) less intimidating ... [emoji4]

Sent from MiPad
(No more rotten Apples...)

I think they don't want the responsability of an incident happening due to a customer drunk because of the beer sold on board.

If it happens, it will be responsability of the customer, as he bought the beer by himself.

BTW, in the red sea beer is only allowed after the night dive. If you drink during the day, you are not allowed to dive.

cheers

I've been on plenty of liveaboards that sell alcohol. NONE of them allowed drinking and diving. If they saw you with a drink, your diving was over for the day. I always waited til after the night dive.

I normally won't even drink the night before I plan to dive. Certainly there have been exceptions, but at my tender (old) age I prefer to treat my temple with great care so I can continue diving for a few decades more

Hi Buadhai!

Very interesting that you chose to go on Scubanet! How was it?

Mikkel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom