Beer...The Perfect Pre-Dive Drink???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:D
Saying: Be my guest I feel honored to be quoted, that by the way is one of my personal faverits. Ive turned down offers to use other peoples tanks on dives because they were filled with air:wink: .

Scott: Thanks for the link but I have a permanent spot on another local Dive boat . I plan on being out this weekend myself probly for two out of the three days.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

No true self proclaimed Darwin canidate or redneck for that matter starts any sentence with "Hold my beer"

Right!?! I think it goes something like "Hey ya'll, watch this.." followed by some sort of inexplicable incident that was really neat to watch, but definitely not what was intended.

Those idiots sound like perfect candidates for the Darwin Awards. Personally I don't drink more than 1-2 drinks the day BEFORE I dive much less immediately before diving. Given my advancing age (I'd rather it continued advancing rather than stop... dead) I'd rather play it safe with my body's physiology.

Dr. Bill

Falcon99 once bubbled...

I counted three water skiiers bouncing around in the rain and lightning bolts. I couldn't help but wonder what the hell goes through these people's minds.

air? There doesn't seem to be much between the ears to stop it!

Diverlady

ScottyK once bubbled...
Does this seem like a problem to anyone, or am I just turning into a nerd as I get older?

Jen and I went out for a relaxing dive last night. The sight is a shallow shore dive. It is however, in a crowded Inlet. There is a boat launch, and a bridge full of fisherman that have to be navigated around. The tidal currents get nasty really quick if you overstay your welcome.

When we arrived, there was a group of guys pounding down brews out of a big cooler. They were really loud and obviously having a "good time". We assumed they were fishing, which would be totally cool with me. Nothing's better when you're fishing than a few cold ones and a hibachi.

Then they started breaking out dive gear and spear guns :confused:

The way they hit the water together probably scared away every fish in a three mile radius. All that was missing was the helicopter attack soundtrack from Apocolypse Now.

We've been diving the site for years. We are familiar enough with it to maximize our time there by working our way into the shallows before the outgoing tide gets too strong. When we got out, the tide was running and they were nowhere in sight. I couldn't see any dive lights out in the channel and can only assume they got swept down a couple of hunded yards and had to walk back to their cars.

I'm half expecting to be reading about one of them in todays paper....

I don't drink at all anymore (I use up my qouta too fast!), but if I did, I wouldn't drink before a dive.
However, the drinking isn't the issue here. It's the overall judgement of the kind of person who WOULD drink and dive with or without spear guns that is the issue. Even cold sober, I'd pass on a chance to buddy with this kind of decission maker.

Rick Inman once bubbled...
Even cold sober, I'd pass on a chance to buddy with this kind of decission maker.

We went off the other side of the bridge (up current) and through the boat channel just to make sure we weren't within 100 yards of them.

Salty- Crew member? Maybe we've met. I've been on the Jean Marie, but not this year yet. Life's been busy and a tried out a Montauk boat called The Sea Turtle. They do some Block Island diving that the other boats don't do. Pretty cool......

yea I crew on the JM so we probly did meet at one time or another. who is the captin on the sea turtle?? I think I know him, are they the ones who do the shark dives?

Yes he does- We tried that one, but caught in some nasty weather. Half the boat (including myself :( ) got seasick, and we just got a glimpse or two of a Blue Shark.

His name is Chuck, don't know his last name as I call him Captain Chuck :rolleyes:

Hopefully I get out on the Marie sometime after Labor day. If I do, I'll PM you ahead of time.

Rick Inman once bubbled...
However, the drinking isn't the issue here. It's the overall judgement of the kind of person who WOULD drink and dive with or without spear guns that is the issue. Even cold sober, I'd pass on a chance to buddy with this kind of decission maker.

Rick, I think you just hit the nail squarely on the head.

ScottyK once bubbled...
Yes he does- We tried that one, but caught in some nasty weather. Half the boat (including myself :( ) got seasick, and we just got a glimpse or two of a Blue Shark.

His name is Chuck, don't know his last name as I call him Captain Chuck :rolleyes:

On a ship of sick people, he could be called Captain up-Chuck...

Back
Top Bottom