Before the flood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi folks, Tired of being cold! Its time to dive DRY! been on this forum gathering info and i keep seeing the word flood in many discussions, How often dose this happen? How dose it happen? and how do you prevent it? Thanks in advance.

When i got my drysiut i bought it used and with the neck and wrist seals all messed up. im to cheap to send it out to get fixed so i decided to learn to doit my self. it goes with out saying that the first couple times there was a lot af water in the suit after the dive. but it is not a big problem at all unless that is your diving ice or something. to keep the seals in good shape just dont over stretch them or get them cough in stuff. and always do a little maintenance on the zipper every now and then. EZ

I started to write that TOTALLY dry dives are the minority . . . but I'm not sure that's really true. I do know that getting wet somewhere is awfully common and awfully annoying. Valves DO leak, especially dump valves and p-valves. Seals will eventually fatigue and leak, or crack and seep. And small holes do occur, of the "Huh, my right hip is wet!" sort. There is no question that one is much warmer if completely dry, but as Bob says, good undergarments pick up the slack (which is why I prefer the ones you can wash).

If you own a dry suit, you will spend time looking for and fixing leaks. How many, how often, and how easily depends on the suit.

I think totally dry dives are a minority, sometimes just perspiration will leave my undergarments damp….and a little stinky. Especially after a long swim out and back.

Wow, With that many dry suits under your belt i have to pick your brain and ask which one was or is your favorite?

All of my suits were custom-cut (made to measure in drysuit terminology) ... all were front-zip. They all had pros and cons ... I'll give a synopsis of each ...

Diving Concepts Ultra-Flex Pro - trilaminate, great suit, fit me beautifully. My only issue with Diving Concepts is they had very bad customer service. The company is now out of business.

Northern Diver - don't recall the model name, it was a cordura suit ... heavy and durable. Very poorly cut ... so much so the company ended up making me another one (equally poorly cut). I didn't keep this suit long ... in drysuits, fit is at least as important as function.

DUI CLX450 - a lighter weight cordura than the Northern Diver, but by far a more flexible, comfortable suit. I loved this suit, and used it for teaching classes, where you can put a lot of wear-n-tear on a drysuit. But I gained some weight and ended up selling it. Last I heard, the guy I sold it to is still happily using the suit.

DUI TLS350 - I went for a lightweight suit, thinking to travel with it. Fit and comfort wise, this was my all-time favorite suit. Only problem with it was it seemed to find lots of ways to leak ... Dry Until Immersed. But because it was so comfortable otherwise, I was OK with constantly having to find and fix the leaks I could easily repair. I found out on this suit that DUI's customer service is excellent. Eventually wore it out (maybe 600 dives) ... I'm so reticent to part with the suit that it still sits in my garage, despite the fact that it will never go diving with me again.

White's Fusion - I tried hard to love this suit, and just couldn't. I was an early adopter, and the early core was not made for people with "hefty" bodies ... the core would bind at the forearms and calves, eliminating the advantage of the suit design. Pockets would sag down around your ankles whenever you put stuff in them. Suit was a pain in the neck to get into. I was never comfortable in the suit ... which is the opposite experience that most folks I know who own them have had. Goes to show that nothing's right for everyone. I eventually sold the suit to some guy in Colorado. AFAIK, he's still diving it.

Santi eSpace - another trilaminate ... somewhere between the CLX450 and TLS350 in weight. I still own this suit, and it's now my backup (it's the one I described earlier with all the leaks). I got a LOT of diving on this suit, including all but one of my cave trips (my first cave trip was using the Fusion). It is, however, a bit heavy for travel.

Bare XCLS2 - a 2mm compressed neo suit. Once again, I was an early adopter for a new design and material, and initially experienced some issues. Bare eventually built me a new suit, but I learned in the process not to expect Bare to be in anything remotely resembling a sense of urgency in taking care of customer issues. I like the suit ... although it's heavy and therefore won't travel with me, it's well-suited for our cold conditions. I probably won't buy another Bare drysuit though (love their wetsuits, and recently purchased my second one) ... as an instructor I just can't afford to wait two months for my suit to come back from the factory, especially when it has to go there repeatedly.

Of all the suits and manufacturers, I'll give the nod to Santi and DUI ... and my next suit will be either another TLS350 or Santi's most lightweight suit (I believe it's called E-Lite) ... which I'll likely be buying sometime in 2014 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

All of my suits were custom-cut (made to measure in drysuit terminology) ... all were front-zip. They all had pros and cons ... I'll give a synopsis of each ...

Diving Concepts Ultra-Flex Pro - trilaminate, great suit, fit me beautifully. My only issue with Diving Concepts is they had very bad customer service. The company is now out of business.

Northern Diver - don't recall the model name, it was a cordura suit ... heavy and durable. Very poorly cut ... so much so the company ended up making me another one (equally poorly cut). I didn't keep this suit long ... in drysuits, fit is at least as important as function.

DUI CLX450 - a lighter weight cordura than the Northern Diver, but by far a more flexible, comfortable suit. I loved this suit, and used it for teaching classes, where you can put a lot of wear-n-tear on a drysuit. But I gained some weight and ended up selling it. Last I heard, the guy I sold it to is still happily using the suit.

DUI TLS350 - I went for a lightweight suit, thinking to travel with it. Fit and comfort wise, this was my all-time favorite suit. Only problem with it was it seemed to find lots of ways to leak ... Dry Until Immersed. But because it was so comfortable otherwise, I was OK with constantly having to find and fix the leaks I could easily repair. I found out on this suit that DUI's customer service is excellent. Eventually wore it out (maybe 600 dives) ... I'm so reticent to part with the suit that it still sits in my garage, despite the fact that it will never go diving with me again.

White's Fusion - I tried hard to love this suit, and just couldn't. I was an early adopter, and the early core was not made for people with "hefty" bodies ... the core would bind at the forearms and calves, eliminating the advantage of the suit design. Pockets would sag down around your ankles whenever you put stuff in them. Suit was a pain in the neck to get into. I was never comfortable in the suit ... which is the opposite experience that most folks I know who own them have had. Goes to show that nothing's right for everyone. I eventually sold the suit to some guy in Colorado. AFAIK, he's still diving it.

Santi eSpace - another trilaminate ... somewhere between the CLX450 and TLS350 in weight. I still own this suit, and it's now my backup (it's the one I described earlier with all the leaks). I got a LOT of diving on this suit, including all but one of my cave trips (my first cave trip was using the Fusion). It is, however, a bit heavy for travel.

Bare XCLS2 - a 2mm compressed neo suit. Once again, I was an early adopter for a new design and material, and initially experienced some issues. Bare eventually built me a new suit, but I learned in the process not to expect Bare to be in anything remotely resembling a sense of urgency in taking care of customer issues. I like the suit ... although it's heavy and therefore won't travel with me, it's well-suited for our cold conditions. I probably won't buy another Bare drysuit though (love their wetsuits, and recently purchased my second one) ... as an instructor I just can't afford to wait two months for my suit to come back from the factory, especially when it has to go there repeatedly.

Of all the suits and manufacturers, I'll give the nod to Santi and DUI ... and my next suit will be either another TLS350 or Santi's most lightweight suit (I believe it's called E-Lite) ... which I'll likely be buying sometime in 2014 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob, great review of suits! Im bummed about Bares customer service! I was really considering the tri lam tech suit, will look more into that. thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom