Beginner diver thinking of switching to sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why PADI tech?

@Tracy here on SB is a TDI tech instructor. Suggest you reach out to him. He’s in Livonia. He’s a friend as well as a good instructor. He helped me immensely when I was having massive trouble with my frog kick.

I haven’t nailed down who or what agency for anything except cave. I want to do the UTD intro to tech course because I know I’ll learn things in it that I won’t elsewhere. Not particularly set on UTD or GUE. I haven’t really looked into the Z manifold yet other than seeing it online.

What’s wrong with doing SM like a normal diver? None of that Z manifold BS.

So I did reach out to quite a few shops in my area. And by area I mean like 50 mile radius of Detroit. Excluding canada. I don’t have the means to get over there yet. And I did talk to someone who was pushing PADI tech pretty hard. Is there anything I should know about them? I’m still not sure on who I’m going thru because as you stated the instructor is the important part. I need one that is gonna challenge me and not just put the information in the air and hope I grab it.

There is a pool at the shop I trained outa m, so I’m not worried about keeping the basics tuned in. That’s part of my winter routine. Indoor rock climbing one week. Pool dive the next and repeat. 😝
And thank you, I’m prone to be stubborn and hardheaded. But when it comes to diving I know there is a right way and a wrong way to do this. And it’s a team sport from any aspect. Even if it’s just a bunch of divers talking on the scubaboard, there’s always something to learn from everything. It’s nice to hear that I’m approaching this the right way. 🤙🏼

Did you do your scuba training with Scuba Centers of MI or Anchor Bay?
The guy pushing Padi Tec was out of Ann Arbor I would guess. If you have plans to go the cave route, I would keep looking for other instruction outside of him.
You mentioned UTD ITT. Were you speaking with James from STW? He is an excellent instructor and could definitely help you down the path you want to go. I think UTD is a bit wonky on some things, but Jame's training is solid.
If you would like to reach out and discuss training with someone else, feel free to reach out. As Marie said, I am in Livonia.

Are you going SM through UTD? I imagine they require using their Z manifold, about which there are some reservations.
I had to look up the Z-manifold. It's a really weird system. I personally wouldn't go anywhere near that thing, and it sounds like (based on skimming several threads) most other sidemount divers wouldn't either.

Did you do your scuba training with Scuba Centers of MI or Anchor Bay?
The guy pushing Padi Tec was out of Ann Arbor I would guess. If you have plans to go the cave route, I would keep looking for other instruction outside of him.
You mentioned UTD ITT. Were you speaking with James from STW? He is an excellent instructor and could definitely help you down the path you want to go. I think UTD is a bit wonky on some things, but Jame's training is solid.
If you would like to reach out and discuss training with someone else, feel free to reach out. As Marie said, I am in Livonia.
Tracy!!! It’s Glen from Dbl d. Jim gave me your number and whatnot a while back ago. I wanted to wait to reach out to you till I had enough experience and knowledge about diving to hold an actual intelligent conversation instead of “idk I just wanna cave dive” 🤣 I’ll give ya a call this weekend if your not busy and talk about maybe setting me up with some courses you teach. If ya don’t mind that is.

Tracy!!! It’s Glen from Dbl d. Jim gave me your number and whatnot a while back ago. I wanted to wait to reach out to you till I had enough experience and knowledge about diving to hold an actual intelligent conversation instead of “idk I just wanna cave dive” 🤣 I’ll give ya a call this weekend if your not busy and talk about maybe setting me up with some courses you teach. If ya don’t mind that is.
I am in Pensacola for the next few days diving the Oriskany. I should be back in town next week. Shoot me your number, I will give you a call on the drive home if you are free.

Ideally I want to do sidemount and back mount doubles. I’m suuuuper comfortable in the water with one tank on my back. Backmount doubles will be a lot heavier and harder to negotiate from what I’m used to, but it’s nothing but another class.

Do you have any instructors in mind for any classes. Like I said I am researching sooo much just tryin to get it right. Lol.
No one in your area. For SM, I recommend going to Aqui Watersports in Lauderdale by the Sea, FL. Ryan's SM course is incredibly good and thorough doesn't even begin to describe it. He can also teach BM doubles.

So I did reach out to quite a few shops in my area. And by area I mean like 50 mile radius of Detroit. Excluding canada. I don’t have the means to get over there yet. And I did talk to someone who was pushing PADI tech pretty hard. Is there anything I should know about them? I’m still not sure on who I’m going thru because as you stated the instructor is the important part. I need one that is gonna challenge me and not just put the information in the air and hope I grab it.

There is a pool at the shop I trained outa m, so I’m not worried about keeping the basics tuned in. That’s part of my winter routine. Indoor rock climbing one week. Pool dive the next and repeat. 😝
And thank you, I’m prone to be stubborn and hardheaded. But when it comes to diving I know there is a right way and a wrong way to do this. And it’s a team sport from any aspect. Even if it’s just a bunch of divers talking on the scubaboard, there’s always something to learn from everything. It’s nice to hear that I’m approaching this the right way. 🤙🏼
I cave dive in Mexico and have met quite a few World-Class instructors and divers there.

One of them told me his personal friend, a PADI MSDT, went to Mexico to take PADI Tec 40 as a student and left as an instructor. The guy had never done A SINGLE dive post-training but was certified as an instructor.

PADI is the initial route for 99% of divers (myself included) but when it comes to tec training of any kind, I would not get near it.

I highly recommend you stop talking/thinking about "this or that" agency. I highly recommend you go diving with a few prospective instructors - just "fun dives", nothing else - to see if you click with the instructor.

all the best, bro!

@Gbair89
Good on you for ignoring all the naysayers and forging ahead with your side mount plan. It's a really great configuration.
You asked people to keep adding their comments so I'll chip in as well.
Please ensure that you take your sidemount course from an instructor who regularly dives tight overhead environments. It can be tricky to properly configure a side mount system and you can end up with issues that feel OK until your squeezing through a tight space. Best to get things right from the start.
Go ahead and start your cavern training as soon as your happy with your sidemount configuration. A good cavern/cave instructor hopefully won't pass you if your not ready. But regardless, you'll come out of the course a day superior diver then you went in. My instructor said he prefers students with less than 100 dives under their belt as you probably haven't cemented any bad habits yet.
Careful with choosing UTD. Carefully study their attitudes and ensure that you want to join that group. they are pretty unique. Good divers. quite clicky. You might struggle with finding dive buddies in some areas once to start on a UTD pathway.
If your going sidemount don't waste your time with doubles unless you really have your heart set on GUE fundies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom