Beginner Gear Package Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You still need a gauge with compass, last time I check VEO 250 is not air integrated. But all of these aren't as important as the instruction you received from this shop. If you have to pay extra $300 for an excellent class, would you do it?

the VEO 250 price i quoted was for a console unit (with an SPG)

no compass, though

Thanks for all the useful advice. I've decided to wait, rent a few different styles, and then purchase before I take AOW.

I did get some clarrification from my LDS. The cost of the gear is $1495 and includes an air integrated SBG with the VEO 250.

I still think it is too much, and would rather pay $300 upfront for quality teaching and then work on getting gear as my experience increases.

My new question is:

What brands, models of BCD/regulator/computer would you recommend to a newbie to at least consider/rent?

As I said above, once I have my PADI OW, I hope to get several dives under my belt and then work on my AOW. I'm also interested in Nitrox training.

Thanks for all the help!

NYCDiveGuy:
Thanks for all the useful advice. I've decided to wait, rent a few different styles, and then purchase before I take AOW.

I did get some clarrification from my LDS. The cost of the gear is $1495 and includes an air integrated SBG with the VEO 250.

I still think it is too much, and would rather pay $300 upfront for quality teaching and then work on getting gear as my experience increases.

My new question is:

What brands, models of BCD/regulator/computer would you recommend to a newbie to at least consider/rent?

As I said above, once I have my PADI OW, I hope to get several dives under my belt and then work on my AOW. I'm also interested in Nitrox training.

Thanks for all the help!
That sounds like a good plan.

"What brand/model" isn't the right question to ask first, what you want to understand first is the pros and cons of basic styles and features. Then you find the model that works for you and fits your budget. There's not much bad gear out there in any of the major brands and I wouldn't think of any particular brands or models as stuff a "newbie" specifically should look at. Basic "good things" such as a reg that breathes well that you can get serviced, a BC that fits well and has what you need but not a lot that you don't, a mask that fits, these things are good for everyone. Anyway after awhile you hopefully won't be a newbie anymore and you don't want to replace it all unless you just want new toys, gear should be able to last you a long time.

Some features people feel strongly about one way or another and have long arguments here about them. Some of these are masks with purge or not, inflator integrated octos, air integrated computers, jacket BCs vs the various back-inflate BC styles, split fins or not, and believe it or not - snorkels and clear vs. black mask skirts. You can spend weeks reading old threads where people discuss these things, hopefully try some stuff, then make up your own mind. Always remember that people who feel strongly about something, sometimes it's for reasons that may not apply to you.

you're going to get a gizillion different opinions. basically, i would say buy quality
to the ability of your budget.

BCD's: these are simple devices, and any reputable manufacturer will make a decent BC. go for fit and price. basically all manufacturers making BCD's today are reputable. the key here is going to be which style: jacket BC, back-inflate, or
back-plate and wings? do some research and try them out, see what you like.
i dive a backplate and wings, and love it. streamlined, light, easy to adjust, and
excellent trim and bouyancy characteristics.

regulator: the big five are Apeks, Atomic, Scubapro, Zeagle, and Poseidon. My favorite is Apeks. Zeagle and Scubapro make some awesome regulators as well.
Atomics are overpriced. Poseidon are hard to find and service. i would try to get the best reg possible. a trouble-free, quality regulator is a thing of beauty, and it adds to your safety while diving.

computer:
oy vey... i say buy the cheapest computer that does what you need.
i really like the Aeris Atmos family of computers: cheap, reliable, and complete, with
no frills. i would avoid air integrated computers. you are basically tripling the cost
(shops LOVE to sell these, for that reason).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom