Beginner questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding computers, it depends on my buget. If i manage to get a good deal and also %0APR instalments I’ll go for one with a transmitter instead of carrying a 3 gauge console. If not, I’ll stick with the basics and slowly upgrade. Btw, generally does scuba gear have a good resell price and holiding the value?

You don't need air integration to not carry a 3 gauge console... You'd just carry a pressure gauge.

Not sure about used gear - I generally like to have a new phone, car, tv, etc. You have warranty and a peace of mind (although I have new stuff which was faulty out of the box). I don’t think I am experienced enough to get a life sustaining equipment as I might not recognise obvious faults and I don’t want to risk it. Maybe in the future.

You can also buy 'used' gear that never been in the water. @guruboy often has gear like this for sale (in fact he has some nice SP regs for sale now). Used gear, once serviced, is just as good as new, IMHO. Read more, ask more questions, and you'll be fine buying used gear... especially if it's 'used, but never actually been on a dive'...

No, unless it's a very well known brand/product.

Used gear holds it's value well. A used regulator is worth about what you paid for it... you're just out the service cost. Now once you buy a new regulator, and dive it 25 times, it's 'used' and you'll get 30%, or 40%, or 50% less then it's new value when you sell it...

You don't need air integration to not carry a 3 gauge console... You'd just carry a pressure gauge.

In my stupidity I was thinking that if you have a computer+a transmitter ypu can see you tank pressure on your computer and you don’t need a pressure gauge. Although you might one in case your computer fails. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Used gear holds it's value well. A used regulator is worth about what you paid for it... you're just out the service cost. Now once you buy a new regulator, and dive it 25 times, it's 'used' and you'll get 30%, or 40%, or 50% less then it's new value when you sell it...

Yes, I agree with this. I was thinking of the price drop from new to used, which is substantial as noted, but if you buy used, you can pretty much resell for less of a decline in price.

In my stupidity I was thinking that if you have a computer+a transmitter ypu can see you tank pressure on your computer and you don’t need a pressure gauge. Although you might one in case your computer fails. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Having an air integrated computer allows you to not having any gauges at all, although many carry a pressure gauge as a redundancy and for quick checks when setting up.

If you have a non-air integrated computer, you'll need a pressure gauge obviously, but you don't need a 3 gauge console. You just need the 1 gauge. (This is the point I was trying to address)

A reliable AI computer would be replacing your SPG (pressure), depth and even compass, typical things you see on analog consoles. Some people streamline their setups down to just the AI computer and transmitter, without any kind of console. However, if the computer fails, you lose all info.

Back
Top Bottom