Beginner Speargun/handspear info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hollow fiberglas tubes and also collapsible aluminum spears (Sea Horse) that had no flood holes.

I've seen those. I was talking about quality spearfishing gear, not beach toys.

It is the mass of the object which produces inertia and delivers the power to punch.

Not necessarily, if that were true everybody would spearfish with cinder blocks.

You have no knowledge of physics and this could hamper your understanding of spear fishing weaponry. The buoyancy, interpreted by you incorrectly as weight, is irrelevant.

Maybe when you learn to read, and comprehend at the same time, you will understand what I am talking about. Sorry, big word, you may have to look that one up.

There are paralyzer type tips made in Australia that have been used to take Marlin.It has more to do with technique than the specific gear.Commercial spearfishermen hear often use paralyzer tips for thier fast reloading ability and the fish average #20.

Thanks for the info, 100days. Where can I read more about these two topics?:)

Teknitrox
I use a polespear and a gun. The spear is an excellent choice for lakes with limited vis. you do not have to worry about hitting something that is out of sight. The spear is also a handy tool to use as a probe when looking at objects with fishing line attached. I have a breakdown aluminum with a paralyzer that I bought but I prefer one I built out of a fiberglas rod and fishpoint from the archery store.

Teknitrox
one additional tip. All poles will have a slight maybe even non detectable bend due to tension of the band. If you wrap the bands as you place the spear under tension you will remove the bend. I do not know if it really helps but it makes sense. This is what I was told in Kaui and i have just kept doing it.

Thanks for the tips. That would probably be good to use a polespear, since the lakes around here have low vis. Not terrible, but it isn't tropical clear either!

Back
Top Bottom