beginners diving together?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did quite a few of my first dives with a guy who was my classmate in my OW class. We muddled through dubious navigation and marginal buoyancy control, and we had a lot of fun. We had the sense to keep the dives shallow and in places we already knew from training. I think there is a lot of benefit for new divers to dive with experienced buddies who can mentor and serve as role models, but I think there is nothing quite like the satisfaction of having planned and executed a dive safely by yourselves.

The goal of the OW training should always be to allow you to do just that. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Better to do short, shallow, shore dives (say that 3 times real fast) with someone you know. I'd advise doing that before trusting a guide or DM you don't know, that doesn't know you, and frankly is not responsible for you any way.

If you don't feeel comfortable at any time you simply end the dive. However before you finish your training sit down with your buddy and ask each other if you both feel your training has prepared you for what you want to do. If not go to the instructor and tell them you need whatever will allow you to do it. Unfortunately you may not know. Luckily you have many resources that can help with that. You should have some training in how to help each other if a problem happens and this should be in your OW training. You should have no problem perparing a dive plan with turn pressures, times, and basic navigation - again all should be in a good OW class.

When you sit down with your buddy to discuss this you are actually starting to plan those dives you will do on your trip. This is when planning begins, not at the site, not on the way there, but now - when you actually make the decision to dive.

Agree with Jim but I would add that both new divers should use a quality instructor and expansive training program for their certifications. A lot of divers go with the "get certified over a weekend" cert which really is like a learners permit someone mentioned above. They are teaching a diver the bare minimum rather than dive planning, dive safety and the like. If you have a quality instructor, they won't let you out of OW unless they know you can safely plan and execute your own dives.

On our first "real" dive, my wife and I went to a local dive shop and asked if they knew someone who would like to do some shore dives. Found a local who was happy to dive even with a couple of newbies. We paid for air, and offered more.

I'm certain that some will say, "With the current (poor) state of training and requirements, it'll be DANGEROUS for newbies to go out together without a more experienced 'mentor' (meaning themselves, of course)".

I am sure some would say this. To them I would say, it was not all that long ago, and with dubious configurations such as J valves and no spg, that people taught themselves how to dive, and did just fine. So even with the reduced content and standards of today's diving classes, you are going to hit the water infinitely more prepared than many people used to.

I say if you are not able to properly plan and execute a dive the day you get your cardboard tempy OW card, either get your money back or hang up your fins.

Just, you know, keep it simple and safe and within the limits you were taught to dive in. As others(Cave Diver) have said, OW is a learner's permit, so go nuts, just don't go nuts...if you catch my drift...

I start my class in a couple of weeks and will do checkout dives in late April/early May. Assuming all goes well (and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't) I will have card in hand in time for a trip in July. One of my girlfriends and I want to do some shore dives in addition to some planned boat trips. As long as we follow safety guidelines like not going too deep, staying with no deco limits, having a flag, do you see an issue with two beginners diving together?

My first regular dive buddy (and kind of my only regular one) and I did our first dive together when we both had less than 25 dives IIRC. We have since done hundreds of dives together and have watched each other (and helped each other) grow as divers. If the divers go into the dives with the right attitude then I see no issue at all with two new divers buddying up. Sometimes it is good to find a mentor to dive with as well because they will be able to help answer questions and to help a new diver grow and improve themselves.

So far, all of my dives have been with the friend I was certified with. We have done spring dives, shore dives and boat dives. Don't be afraid to go out and do it. Just make sure you stick to your limits. Also, if you can find one, join a local dive club or group. In my area, we found one of facebook and have done multiple dives with them. So even though my friend and I are buddy partners in the water there are other, more experienced divers available to learn from.

Nothing wrong with diving with other newbies, but mix and match with other people occasionally, start to develop your own style of diving and you will soon find out who else dives your way (or you dive their way).

If you're planning to go diving somewhere else than where you learned, and you've got some jitters you want to get rid of, try finding a guide for an orientation dive in the area. That way, you won't have the double-whammy of diving without guidance for the first time AND in a location you don't know at all.

.. do you see an issue with two beginners diving together?
No, but there are some traps ahead.
Do not fall for the let's see how deep we can go trap.
Do not fall for the I think we have enough air to try it trap.
Do not fall for the that hole is big enough, let's look inside trap.
Do not fall for the we don't get narc'd at 90' so let's .... trap.
And so on.

Join a club. Try and dive with others that have been diving a long time. Use your head and diving will give you many years of fun and excitement.

Back
Top Bottom