Info Beginners Guide To BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My question: Does everyone dismantle the tanks, wing and plate after a dive for rinsing and storage? Or do some leave every thing battened down, rinse and store in that configuration?
I take the tank off. After watching the dive shop guy go through the ordeal of threading my wing onto my back plate, no way am I taking those 2 apart! I don't see any credible rationale for doing so anyway, but whether there is one or not, I'm not doing it. My setup involves (all Hollis brand) deluxe harness, AL BP and wing.

Sorry if you were just asking about taking the tank off the BP/W (or not).

I take the tank off. After watching the dive shop guy go through the ordeal of threading my wing onto my back plate, no way am I taking those 2 apart! I don't see any credible rationale for doing so anyway, but whether there is one or not, I'm not doing it. My setup involves (all Hollis brand) deluxe harness, AL BP and wing.

Sorry if you were just asking about taking the tank off the BP/W (or not).

threading your wing onto your backplate? The only way I can imagine needed to thread a wing to a backplate would be is you are running the tank straps through the backplate rather than using a STA. Is that what you are referring too? If so using a STA eliminates any need to do that.

Yes, mine is strictly a single tank setup. Interesting to know about the STA difference, thanks.

Richard.
The STA can be set up to hold the tank straps and bolted to the plate sandwiching the wing between so if you want to disassemble it there isn’t any fuss with the straps. The only reasons to take them apart is for easier transportation or better rinsing and drying.

The question came from someone who dives doubles, so the single tank rigs without STA aren't that relevant.
Diving XDeep dbl wing and steel plate with twin 63cf als...

My question: Does everyone dismantle the tanks, wing and plate after a dive for rinsing and storage? Or do some leave every thing battened down, rinse and store in that configuration?

Thanks...
I would say it depends on the weight of the rig and the logistics of transporting and filling the tanks. With heavy steel doubles I always dismantle the tanks and bp/w for easier handling and it also allows you to rinse the wing etc. Unless you can carry it on your back from a seated position to the car, and also do fills from an elevated position, it's a pain to lift an assembled steel D12 rig with a steel backplate and and added 4kg v-weight from the floor. However with lighter and smaller AL tanks and maybe without added weights I might not bother disassembling.

Disassembling/assembling a doubles rig is not that hard or time consuming, though. 2 wing nuts and slide the whole thing off/on.

Yes, mine is strictly a single tank setup. Interesting to know about the STA difference, thanks.

Richard.

The STA is the metal bracket. You simply attach your tank straps through the STA. The bolts on the stay then go through the wing and screw onto your backplate. In order to disassemble you just remove wing nuts from backplate and remove STA and wing. makes the whole process of disassembly very easy. I use this a lot because I switch back and forth between doubles and single tank diving, allows me to use the same backplate and harness and quickly change wings and tanks without having to re thread anything.
Aluminum-Tech-Scuba-Diving-Single-Tank-Adapter-with-2-Tank-Straps-for-Scuba-Diving-BCD-Backplate.jpg_.webp

Single tank, no STA here. I leave the plate, wing and tank straps attached for cleaning, storage and transport.

Edit: my wing isn't bolted, so I can reach everything when cleaning.

No real need to take the wing off the BP.
I believe the main reason for taking the wing off the tank is to protect the wing from damage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom