Info Beginners Guide To BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This generated a lot of wing paranoia.
I am not trying spread paranoia but try to explain why some people advocate separating the wing from the plate. DSS wings are fragile, the shell was flexible and the urethane bladder rather thin, especially the clear one. Other wings around the same time were made in a similar way, so damage was a concern. Wings with thicker or coated shells and nylon bladders seem more resistant to pinch flats.

This generated a lot of wing paranoia.
I never take off the wing for my single tank setup except when traveling. Not for cleaning, not for storage, not for transport for local diving. I don't throw stuff on top of it and I securely pack everything, so I don't see the risk. Now if I get t-boned at an intersection, I can't say I'm going to care if the bladder gets damaged as I have more a more serious problem.

I am not trying spread paranoia but try to explain why some people advocate separating the wing from the plate. DSS wings are fragile, the shell was flexible and the urethane bladder rather thin, especially the clear one. Other wings around the same time were made in a similar way, so damage was a concern. Wings with thicker or coated shells and nylon bladders seem more resistant to pinch flats.
Not but just saying Tobin generated a lot of “pinch flat” paranoia which I guess may have led to better wings. I never liked his wings but I did like central hole for the straps, that was a great idea and his backplates were top notch.

My way:
1. Remove the wing from the plate after diving.
2. Harness is also released from both bottom slots on the plate.

Not but just saying Tobin generated a lot of “pinch flat” paranoia which I guess may have led to better wings. I never liked his wings but I did like central hole for the straps, that was a great idea and his backplates were top notch.
I have both the steel and the kydex DSS plates along with 20 lb and 30 LCD horseshoe wings. Oxycheq wings are better built but the DSS wings pack better for travel. If feel bad for the people who bought the donut wings that are sewn shut.

What I liked about the steel plate was ability to add weight plates. I don't have that high of an opinion of his plates. He used 304 instead of 316 steel and the plate wasn't finished as well as other plates on the market. The compression blocks and the slot inserts are gimmicky. I never had a problem with cam bands and tubular webbing can be added to prevent chaffing of the webbing at the slots.

My way:
1. Remove the wing from the plate after diving.
2. Harness is also released from both bottom slots on the plate.
Why do you remove the harness?

OK...my take away is to not transport the wing attached to plate/tanks....tanks come off due to weight [dbls] and plate comes off so I can store/transport the wing without fear of a "pinch flat"...pinch flats are real and that video hit home for me since I ride motorcycles off road a lot and my only flat was a pinch flat...

Not worth the risk for me...... and I appreciate everyone's input...thanks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom