Belize by myself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cerge

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there, so I am planning on going to Belize by myself for 5 nights and 4 days. I plan on doing 3 days of diving and 1 day exploring the interior. I am a technical diver, however, from what I can tell, not much in the way of technical diving in Belize. I would like to do a 200' for 20 minutes if possible in the Blue Hole.

Here are my questions:

1. Being by myself, which city is best to stay in?
  2. Any hotel recommendations?
  3. Was thinking of Aqua Dives is that a good choice?

I am not a drinker so that is not important to me, I am looking for a decent place to stay that would have internet access and nice staff. I am not interested in partying or doing anything crazy just trying to have some fun diving...

Any input would be great.

Thanks

Cerge
you might try contacting Chip from Belize Diving Services in Caye Caulker. He is trying to do more tech than the others. he might be able to put together a special trip for you. I do not think the Aqua dives will be able to help with a 200' dive at the BH. I could be wrong but i do not think they specialize in that sort of diving.

Last edited:
Thatch Caye might interest you but we would need to bring Peter Jones out of retirement to come down and assist on the Blue Hole dive. We usually do 135 for ten minutes and Peter has been known to go deeper for longer out there so he might make a good buddy for that one. I dont know what you would see at 200 feet in the Blue Hole that would interest you anymore than what is at 120 to 150 feet, however. Lots of sharks and big stalactites at any level after 120 feet. And honestly, the Half Moon Caye wall and Long Caye Aquarium have some awesome dropoffs that I would rather dive deep on and save my profile for. But the Blue Hole has a certain allure------. Perhaps Peter will come on later and discuss what the best technical dive is for the Blue Hole.

I have been to Belize 3 times and just today booked to be there over New Years. You should have no problems traveling there alone. I am not familiar with Thatch Caye but have enjoyed San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. I would recommend Amigo Del Mar over Aquadives but I cant say if they will take tech divers to the Blue Hole. I would agree that the light house reef dive is way more impressive than the Blue Hole.

I have stayed at Paradise Villas all three times I have been there.
http://www.nelliesproperty.com/pages/services.html

Thanks to all for your input - where should I stay seeing as I will be by myself.... How is Sunbreeze? Any other input?

So taking the 200' dive out of the equation, just diving recreational, do you guys dive computers or does everyone dive as a group with the first low on gas/ndl calling the group....

Also, Aqua Dive, I thought Peter sold all of his stuff to them, wouldn't they be a good choice?

We provided techies with private charters 3 years in a row in the past doing video in the BH at 60m with twin steel 88s on air, deco with 40% and 100% oxygen. You have to bring most (if not all) of your own gear and highly unlikely anyone will put you on a boat with recreational divers since they'll be on different profiles, dive times, and SIs. I know more than a handful of divers who would like to know more info on this topic. Anybody with info please send it in.

We provided techies with private charters 3 years in a row in the past doing video in the BH at 60m with twin steel 88s on air, deco with 40% and 100% oxygen. You have to bring most (if not all) of your own gear and highly unlikely anyone will put you on a boat with recreational divers since they'll be on different profiles, dive times, and SIs. I know more than a handful of divers who would like to know more info on this topic. Anybody with info please send it in.
Yeah, I am not going to bring a ton of gear.... Looks like more recreational diving - that's fine, single tank...... Doubles if I can rent them and find someone to do a longer air dive with me... If I could rent a 80cft with 50% I would do a deco - say 150 for 30 minutes.

With AquaDives (ADB) I have taken divers down in the BH to c.250ft on mix, and several times to 200ft on air. We'd normally use recreational gear with an additional air tank side-slung, and it's quite possible to do an hour-long dive from a standard recreational boat. Any longer than that and the other divers would get restless..... It's quite possible for the second tank (or a third one) to be a moderate nitrox - 36% is a standard mix and readily available, and 50% can be arranged with prior notice.

As Travis at Thatch Caye suggested, there isn't actually a great deal of interest in the BH below the normal 150ft. At that depth there's a shelf that carries the prominent Stalagmites and Columns that people talk about. There is another smaller shelf further down, but well into trimix territory at 250ft or so. Between the two there's little of interest.

One thing I have done with a friend is do a complete circuit of the hole on scooters. That was all at air depths as my friend wasn't mix-certified. I still have scooters, but they haven't been used in a while and I know they will need new batteries.

ADB do have a few sets of doubles but not the BCs/harnesses to hold them, nor suitable regs. I don't believe they have any intention of getting any of this stuff unless they can clearly see a market - one such diver every six months doesn't justify the expense.

Thatch Caye (TCR) is actually a very good possibility, as we could probably have a boat to ourselves and have a proper length dive. There hasn't been nitrox available there up till now, so the plan would have to allow for air decompression, though we could see whether it might be possible to get nitrox there. It would also be a great place to stay.

So long as I can I'm quite prepared to help with either option. Forget Amigos as they won't allow anything outside the noormal bounce dive. Don't forget that any depth is available on the barrier reef (from SP or from TCR) and logistics of getting there are much simpler.

When do you have in mind?

Hey thanks for the response, I am looking at coming out on the 4th of July and diving the 5th - 7th. It isn't set in stone yet, but looking like it is going to happen. I would be diving with AquaDives I think because I am thinking of staying at the sunbreeze. What is "SP" by the way?

I have all the stuff to attach to doubles but I am thinking of just bring my recreational gear and calling it a day. doesn't sound like a tech diving area. That's cool, just want to have fun. I like doing deco dives, so a stage bottle with 36% would help.

SP = San Pedro.

A stage bottle is most simply another standard 80, so bring a suitable sling and band. Then you're equipped for any quasi-rec dive. If you want to go deep you'll need someone like me with you - probably me in fact. As Steve said, Chip is appropriately qualified so that would be another option (on CC).

Back
Top Bottom