BELIZE NEWB... Few concerns.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All good advice. Would add that a trip up into the hills of Belize is worth doing. Cooler and some spectacular scenery. If you like that kind of thing there are some ruins that are worth a day trip. (Belize is very small - everything is fairly close to everything)

If indeed you do decide to go inland for a bit, then you MUSTdo the ATM day trip. Look it up, Actun Tunichal Muknal, cave of the crystal sepulchre or cave of the crystal maiden. One of the coolest experiences I've had anywhere in the world.

Unless, like my wife, you don't like caves. In which case there are about a zillion other things to do, like raft rivers, hike through jungles, tour a chocolate farm, zip lining, the zoo, clamber around Mayan ruins, participate in Garifuna drumming, swim under a waterfall, live with a Mayan family, have lunch in Monkey River Town, and on and on and on...

I spent 10 days on Ambergris Caye, in July of 2014. Had a great stay and fell in love with Belize. My wife (non-diver) and I stayed at Ramons Village, and I dove with Ramons Village Dive Center.

My wife and I really enjoyed the Resort. We found it very convenient in it's location. Close enough to Town (San Pedro) to walk and enjoy the people and activities, but just far enough outside and the nightlife didn't effect the resort.

The restaurant at Ramons Village (Pineapples) had above average meals, but was a little on the pricier side. You can get an meal package that includes all meals. We elected to only get the breakfast package, because we wanted to experience the local food delights too. A side note, we found ourselves eating many of our dinner meals at Pineapples, because it was convenient, and we would have dinner with other guests that we met on the trip.

I was really impressed with Ramons dive operations. I have been diving for over 23 years. I have dove with many dive operations, live-a-boards, and dive shops. I tend to be a creature of habit. When I do find an dive operation that I like and is professional, I tend to stay with them.

Most of the local dive sites are very close to shore and are just a short fast boat trip away. The dives inside the barrier reef are shallow and calmer. The the outside of the reef can be intermediate and deeper. The surface can be a little rougher due to wind chop. The small fast boats, tend to move a bit more while moored. However, the boatmaster and divemaster are always there to help and assist.

Some Do's:

1. Hol Chan - You have to dive Hol Chan/ Shark Ray Alley, these dives your wife will love. My wife isn't a diver, but she had an awesome snorkel with the sharks and rays.

2. Lamanai - Mayan Ruins, the whole experience of taking a fast boat up the old river was fun. Lamanai, is no Tikal, but atleast you get to climb the steps of the large temple.

3. I would say Blue Hole, but I think that the boat ride out there is not something I enjoyed. We had rough seas due to wind. I am glad that I did it once. I have been in California rough open seas on large dive boats. My personal opinion, that there isn't a dive operation on Ambergris Caye, with a large enough vessel to handle rough open seas like we had. The other two dives on the trip, are worth the effort. If I was to do the Blue Hole and again, I would do it from a live-a-board for stay on a caye or atoll closer to the site.

4. Get out and sample the locals. They are all great from the indigenous to the ex-pats. We heard some very interesting tales... good and bad. The kids are adorable, and great sales people...

I don't really have any don'ts, just use common sense.

My take on tipping:

During conversations with fellow divers, I found different styles of tipping. Tipping is a personal thing, because it involves your personal feeling of the quality of service received. When I was on my trip in Belize, I actually asked the Dive Staff working the Dive Center at Ramons Village, "what was the tipping etiquette was like there?" I got a mixed bag of answers.

I do agree with
Dowing, "do tip generously if the service warrants it"
I found that I tended to tip on the more generous side, a personal choice. What I relized, was that the service I received was also better. Not so much for myself, but for my non-diver wife who suffers terribly from seasickness. I never had to worry about her well being, because I knew she was in great care, in the water and out of the water, and the boatmaster and divemaster were rewarded for the extra attention.

I learned a long time ago, Happy Wife... Happy Life... if costs me a little extra, it's well worth every penny.

I will be in the Placencia Area of Belize next week April 5-12. I will be staying at Roberts Grove Beach Resort. I will report back in two weeks.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Belize during June in 2012. Lobsterfest is indeed awesome.

If you have the time, we dedicated a little over 2 weeks, I strongly suggest spending a little time inland too. We spent the first 1/3rd of our time at Cave's Branch (Belize Adventure Tours | Belize All Inclusive Vacations | Belize Resorts) near Belmopan. We booked the all inclusive package, stayed in a tree house, did the ATM tour that Chilly mentioned, repelled the black hole drop, saw the Xunantunich ruins, fed the howler monkeys at the Baboon Preserve and even stopped at the Belize Zoo. It was all very rewarding and well worth the time. On a slight tangent, Cave's Branch brews the absolute best coffee in the world.

After our inland time we flew to Ambergris Caye and spent the rest of our time there. We forked out the cost and stayed at Matachica a few miles north of downtown. There's a lot to like about the resort. The casitas that face the ocean, which is where we stayed, are picturesque. The bar is fun, the pool's beautiful, and the onsite spa is great. But let me tell you, we spent so much time diving and at the Palapa Bar, which BTW is another "do not miss" place (Palapa Bar & Grill | The Coolest Bar and Grill in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize), that we barely used any of the amenities at Matachica that we paid for.

On Ambergris Caye, minus one trip out to the Blue Hole with Amigo's Del Mar, we dove with White Sands Dive shop (Belize Scuba Diving, Lessons, PADI , White Sands Dive Shop, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye elearning). They're the shop associated with Matachica. Just like many of the others they'll pick you up at the pier of most resorts, even some of those south of town.

We're actually going back in June of 2015 too. We're not staying at Matachica again instead opting for something cheaper since we know the routine but we will be diving with White Sands again. Maybe we'll run into you.

Good luck.

My wife and I married at Ramon's Village almost a million years ago. The experience was the best, from the diving (not the greatest, but we knew what to expect), to the wedding (we just dug our wedding photos out of storage. Fun times) to their arrangements. It's a big enough place to host your whole party, there are less expensive accommodations nearby for those who can't afford Ramon's or don't dive, and there is plenty to do other than dive.

I would do it all over again.

Spent five weeks in Belize. Loved Placencia! Went up to San Pedro to dive the Blue Hole, it was much more touristy than Placencia and I will not return to San Pedro. I can't speak for Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker since I've never been there. Placencia was great, I'm headed back there in a few days. Miles of white sand beaches with private restaurants to party bars right on the beach so you can do whatever you're in the mood for that night. June is the perfect time to go. Check out the Flamboyant Tree Apartments. It's right on the sidewalk, 2-5 minutes walking distance from restaurants but quiet at night and steps from the beach, the upstairs apartment overlooks the ocean. There's lots of vacation homes in the area. Look on VRBO or HomeAway, might be nicer for a honeymoon than a hotel. If you rent a place with a dock most dive operations will pick you up right off your private dock. The dive shops do partner with hotels and you can discuss your wants with them to find a hotel that meets your needs.

JMNSHO, pick some place other than Ramon's for your accommodationm the ambiance of the grounds aside, there are way overpriced for what you get in the room. You can do much better.

We were in Belize during Christmas week 2014 (wife and kids ages 20,18). I guess it comes down to how active you want to be, how much nightlife/varied eating options you want and whether diving/snorkeling/waterports will be 100% of the focus.

Like another poster above, we spent time at Cave's Branch lodge in greater Belmopan (inland). This is a great place for all inclusive adventure - dry and wet caving, river/cave tubing, sink hole rapelling, jungle hiking/overnights, day trips to ruins in Belize and Guatemala, etc. You do not have to book the adventures/outings in advance - you pick them the night before with the help of the staff, who then lead you on the trips the next day...most of the excursions are right on the 50,000 acre property that surrounds the resort. Lodging is in a great jungle setting - lots of animal noises and very secluded feeling, outdoor (and indoor) showers, comfortable beds, etc. Meals are buffet and at tables of 8+...so perhaps less of a romantic experience while eating. All in all, a fantastic place, that while not cheap, is great if you want a comfortable jungle experience with built in action everyday.

We also stayed at the Sunbreeze on Ambergris. A very solid, functional hotel with a built in dive shop. Perfect if you are going to be out diving all day or doing other activities. Pool area is fine, but rather small. Decent on-site restaurant. Our older kids loved Ambergris because it offered more of a nighttime "scene", with varied waterfront restaurants and bars, the local "chicken drop" phenomenon, etc. We went out diving for 2 days and then did a day sail with snorkeling/lunch over to Caye Caulker. There are certainly more posh resorts than the Sunbreeze on Ambergris...although the nicer ones are more removed from San Pedro town. This could be an option if you want a dose of the restaurant/bar scene but don't want to live in the middle of it ;-)

I think if you want remote/quiet with 100% of activities diving/snorkeling, then one of the atolls would be a great choice (quieter and easy access to the best diving). Perhaps pursue Hopkins area if you want to include some land activity but spend the week at the beach.

My $0.02. Good luck with the planning.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom