Ben & Ted's (and Max & Elaine's) Excellent Lobos Adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I, too, am jealous of these guys' perfect trim.
I am jealous of those guys perfect trim too, and embarrassed I was caught on camera in that position. Not sure what I was doing?

My Uwatec died on that dive and needs to be sent in. Sucks because every dive I have done since certification has been logged on it. Unfortunately I had not uploaded in the last 70 dives or so, therefore I am loosing my past dive tracking ability. Now I have truly lost my dive count LOL Maybe it is time to buy a Tech 2G?

Wound up getting upper leg cramps on ascent. Managed the ascent with a bag in hand, but thanks to Ted for getting my muscles stretched out. Probably should have eaten the banana I brought! Task loaded me pretty good plus I had no depth gauge, but we were only in 40 feet of water. Pressure was going to end the dive long before hitting NDL's.

Max and Elaine,
It was great to be able to share in your first Lobos experience. It truly is a magical place filled with wondrous sights that only pale in comparison to the more wonderful people you meet there. Don't sell yourselves short on skills. You guys executed a safe dive at an unfamiliar site without assistance. You didn't panic going thru kelp, you didn't crater on the bottom, managed your gas on your own and stayed together.... what else could you ask for? :)

Thanks supersand, Kathy and bumps. Sure wish my new strobes had arrived by then. Would have been great to capture the colors down there even better.

Peter, there was another vid were I captured you, Ben and Ted just finning. But I had to destroy the evidence since it was making me too jealous. No vertical movement as you fin with all that gear; descending like you're hovering spacecraft... Impressive!

Thanks for the tip Gombessa, I rarely post, but I do lurk and I do enjoy your videos a lot.

Obviously you guys didn't watch long enough... We had enough screw ups down there, you just didn't notice... I was fighting this new (to me) drysuit and using Don's doubles (Thanks Don) Peter was going all over the place because the good visibility was more than he could handle...Give him 5 ft vis and he'll be good :) Cave diver Ted was solid as always... I guess when you are used to diving those silly caves with spikes on the ceiling and the floor you have no choice but to stay in trim 100% of the time :nailbiter:

I, too, am jealous of these guys' perfect trim. I was overweighted, embarrassed, and having such a bad trim day and then I watched those three just glide effortlessly. We're going to shoot less and practice more. :(

Ben and Ted, maraming salamat again.

Walang anuman po... Maybe next time we'll do a pot luck and break out the adobo and rice :wink:

I am jealous of those guys perfect trim too, and embarrassed I was caught on camera in that position. Not sure what I was doing?

My Uwatec died on that dive and needs to be sent in. Sucks because every dive I have done since certification has been logged on it. Unfortunately I had not uploaded in the last 70 dives or so, therefore I am loosing my past dive tracking ability. Now I have truly lost my dive count LOL Maybe it is time to buy a Tech 2G?

Wound up getting upper leg cramps on ascent. Managed the ascent with a bag in hand, but thanks to Ted for getting my muscles stretched out. Probably should have eaten the banana I brought! Task loaded me pretty good plus I had no depth gauge, but we were only in 40 feet of water. Pressure was going to end the dive long before hitting NDL's.

I'm pretty sure the wide angle lense distorts one's trim :wink:

Last edited:
Great video and stills! Looks like a gorgeous day. I'm still waiting for my backordered regs to arrive...

Awesome image

4591056212_b5c3862b04.jpg

What a great video, Max, thank you. I had to stay dry this weekend due to 5 hockey games, it was nice to take a 3:45 minute dive with you over middle reef.
Oh, hockey games result: son's team lost 4 games, Sharks won 1 very important one.

Thanks for posting. I really like the two pics of your girlfriend plus anemone.

We're going to shoot less and practice more. :(

I've always found that diving is better practice for diving than "practicing" is :)

Ted, Ben, Peter, what were you guys thinking doing drills at Lobos on a day with viz like that!?!

Allison

Last edited:
Mofongo_Max,

I know the divers with you were on scuba, but may I ask what submersible you were on board as you video tapped the topography of lobos? :)

Were you using maybe a rover, tethered to a vessel from above that allowed such stellar imagery? All playing aside, you take the prize for smoothness and just capturing the moment with what you filmed.

I was so impressed I looked up the model camera and might consider it as a choice, I sold my entire camera setup and am looking to purchase a HD camera and the Picsio was my first choice for the whole package; wide angle lens, strobe and UW housing.

But then, you had to show off your awesome video and stellar stills, just breath taking and it's just a camera, you rock...

MG

Ted, Ben, Peter, what were you guys thinking doing drills at Lobos on a day with viz like that!?!

Allison

Haha, I made a similar comment as soon as we got in the car. Something like "these guys paid $30 to give us a tour and do drills?!! it's cheaper at breakwater!"

Ben - We got a portable stove and a little weber grill. Next time Max and I go to Lobos, I'm bringing in the stove to make tea AND heat up some pancit. :wink: Let me know what your sched is like for June. Or hopefully we can do potluck at the next M&G. Sandwiches bore me.

Peter - Maybe all the illegal kelp you ate affected your trim. tsk tsk

I, too, am jealous of these guys' perfect trim. I was overweighted, embarrassed, and having such a bad trim day and then I watched those three just glide effortlessly. We're going to shoot less and practice more. :(

Ben and Ted, maraming salamat again.

I'm glad to hear that you guys enjoyed your dives. Hopefully the cost of a drysuit is becoming more and more palatable.

Don't sweat your trim or anything else like that. From what I could see, you guys planned your dive well and executed it well. I wish I could say that about all my dives.

It was good to meet you and Max (and Peter C. for that matter). Ben did all the leg work for getting reservations and such - so I guess I should thank him too. :)

Allison

Tell me about it. I felt like a moron doing drills yesterday. And just to reinforce that feeling...

As Ben and I were preparing to drive away from the Lobos parking lot, some tourists (gals) were looking at Ben and I. They were smiling at us from ear to ear and giggling. Quite frankly, it was flattering - until someone pointed out that we had left stuff on top of the truck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom