Beqa Lagoon in Oct.2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mom2twinz99

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all! I have done some searching, and most of the information on Beqa Lagoon is relatively old. Has anyone been there recently? And has anyone stayed at the Marlin Bay Resort? Our LDS just booked a trip there for next October (2005) and there is not a lot on the web regarding this resort. Roughing it is not my idea of fun, and I want to make sure I won't be upset on arrival. Myb husband and I are getting our AOW this week in Pensacola and hope to have our rescue by then. What are the dives like as far as difficulty? Any out of the ordinary marine life (turtles)?

Thanks in advance!
Amber

Hi Amber,
We went to Fiji about 6 weeks ago, 1 week at Wananavu resort then 3 days at Beqa Lagoon (formerly Marlin Bay ). Although Bequa Lagoon was "prettier" all of us thought that Wananavu was better. Why ? Neither Resort has much of a beach, Wananavu's abuts a lagoon where the boats anchor, Beqa , some sand then boldery coral on one side, some sand then some coral and turtle grass about 2 to 3 feet deep for about 50 yards then a slight drop off with some coral down to about 20 feet. No real shore diving at Wananavu, mediocre at best at Beqa. The diving seemed the same at both places, but all liked Kaviti Dive at Wananavu better. We didn't do the shark dive at beqa because we were there monday Tues and Wed and they shark dove on Friday. Wouldn't change despite our request. I can't say enought about the staff at Wananavu as they knew our names and preferences in no time and even lent us some pocket sules(mens skirts) for a wonderful farewell party. The staff at Beqa was nice but not the same.
Meals at Wananavu , casual, choose from menu. Bequa, choice of A or B and order lunch and dinner at breakfast and meals start promptly so be there on time. Quality same at both.
Bequa was just purchased by Russians who appear to be interested in competing with an even more expensive resort on the same island and it appears that diving will not be the main attraction .While we were there it seemed that they were too busy working on their advertising program to care about their guests. At Wananavu it seemed like the staff was there to make sure you had a great time . At beqa it didn't feel that way at all. Don't leave anthing hanging on the podrch rails as it will be in your room(still wet) when you return. It's seems it's all about appearance at Beqa, and yes it is very pretty . But worth 1 1/2 times as much ?? We wondered if it was even worth AS much let alone more.
This was our first Pacific trip so the diving was facinating with lion fish,white tip sharks,lot's of nudibranchs,leaf fish,ghost coral,sea pens,lots of beautiful colors of soft coral,many different star fish ,giant anemones with lots of anemone fish,bright colorful stone fish, and tons of liitle fish on top of the Bommies(coral mounts),bat fish,unicorn fish,and so on & so on.
Being wellworn carribean travelers, we expected a lot different topside but we really could'nt find much difference between Carribean flora and fauna and Fiji's.
What made the trip was the difference underwater as everything was so new to us. I think someone who only dove Fiji might find the Carribean exciting as we found Fijian waters.
Would we go back ? To Wananavu, yes. Beqa, no. Believe it or not our most treasured memories were not the beaches or the diving but the Fijians themselves. They should be in charge of hospitality everywhere as they were wonderful and made our trip unforgettable. Now for the bad news. While we were there Wananavu was being sold . Hopefully if they're smart they will retain their staff.
So if you like casual, warm, friendly, with nice accomodations choose Wananavu. If it's finely appointed rooms with very pretty gardens and more regimentation,prettier(not tastier) meals, choose Beqa . To each his own.

We went to MBR in OCt of 02...before George sold it. I guess the new owners definitely have a different modus operandi as we were very pleased with the entire experience.....

Hey there,

I'm passing this on for Roger Grace since he can't get to a computer just now. He's an old school diver, marine biologist and underwater photographer that's been working with me on the Rainbow Warrior for a few months now. We were in Fiji in July and Roger did a couple dives at Beqa. His report on them (along with a slideshow) is at...

http://weblog.greenpeace.org/pacific/archives/001702.html

Looks pretty sweet.

I was in Fiji last spring - 2 weeks of a month's stay at Beqa. This was my third trip and will not be my last. I love it!
Have stayed at Lagoon Resort last 2 times. They are at Pacific Harbor and about 10-15 min. by boat to the lagoon dive sites but the resort is comfortable, diver-friendly, good food, and generally one of the best around.
The dive operation at the resort is AquaTrek and they are the ones who meet up with the Marlin Bay people on the water to lead the shark feed dive (that's why Marlin Bay couldn't accomodate a change of days - they contract with AquaTrek for that particular time). Actually there are 2 AquaTreks (or were last April) due to some administrative/financial disagreements. The one at the Lagoon Resort has the people who pioneered the shark dive and have been working to get the marine preserve set up. I was really privileged to be there while a group of world class pros (including Ron and Valerie Taylor and the Atkinsons from the Bahamas) were there doing some bull shark tagging - an awesome experience to be part of.
AquaTrek does regular dives as well as the shark feeds although I got the impression that they might putting more and more time into the shark stuff. Will find out when I return next spring.
I spent my other 2 weeks at the north end of Viti Levu. Stayed on the island (Nananu-i-ra) at a small cottage resort but heard good things about Wananavu while there. Dived with Ra Divers - who have been around and based at Wananavu longer than Kaviti. Found Ra to be a great operation and will probably go with them again on the next trip. The diving in that area is great - it's a tossup between there and Beqa. I got some great photos of nudibranchs there - while the pix from Beqa were more oriented to the sharks. How can you compare?
If you are already locked into staying at Marlin Bay, this info is probably not much use - but there's always the next trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom