Best and closest diving in Riviera Maya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

comollusk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I've done a bit of searching but still have not quite found the intel I'm looking for.
Here's the background: I'm going to (probably) Riviera Maya early March with a group of mostly non-divers but would like to stay nearest the best diving in the Riviera Maya area. I've dove Coz for years and it's definitely my favorite, but this group does not want to go there for various reasons, but mostly because they want a big sandy beach with waves. (I know this can be found in southern Coz, but it's out.)
It looks as if there are very nice sites near Puerta Aventuras, but also near Playa del Carmen. Are these the closest areas to the best diving? Is one better than the other for number and size of animals and health of reefs with interesting formations, and maybe the Bull Shark dive (with a non-chumming op of course)? It looks like PA may not have the big sandy beaches? We haven't decided whether to go all-inclusive or not, but it would seem if we do not, that Playa would have more dining options. Is that right? Would staying between be a good option?
I'll definitely be checking out a cenote or 2, but i'll likely do more ocean diving so shorter boat rides are preferable.

Where would any of you mainland veterans recommend we stay and why?
Thank you all in advance!
Devin

Both Playa del Carmen and Puerto Aventuras have their charms, though I would say that Playa would probably be better for your non-diving friends, as there is much more for them to do in close proximity, and definitely more dining options should you decide not to stay at an all-inclusive, there are amazing restaurants in Playa, and access to the beach cannot be beat. If you stay in Playa you can easily dive the local reefs, the cenotes, and if you like take a day trip over to Cozumel as well, plus the Bull Sharks, so there are more options for doing something different everyday you would like to dive.

We will be more than glad to help you plan for your diving trip. Check us out at Diving Mexico - Cenotes, Caves, Caverns, Reefs Playa del Carmen Tulum - Blue Life. We can help you get set up with a great diving package, and we can operate through both Playa del Carmen and Puerto Aventuras. For more information please email Sarah at info@bluelife.com and we will make sure to get you all set up and answer any other questions you may have, diving or not!

Hope to dive with you soon!

I would say anywhere between Playa and Akumal is a good choice. Most of the attractions and ruins are in this area if your non divers are interested in this sort of thing. The cenotes are mostly in this area. The colectivos (local buses) run up and down the highway, so it's easy to get around. Most all dive shops will pick you up and drop you off at your hotel. I would recommend Nicolas from CenoteXperience for your diving. Nico and his brother Martin are great guys and excellent dive guides. I haven't done any ocean dives from the main land. If you have dove in Cozumel you might be disappointed in the ocean dives. You can dive better reefs most anywhere but you can only dive the cenotes here.

Back
Top Bottom