best bang for the buck dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first trip to Anilao, Philippines (2011) was a group trip. I was solo; $175/nt including 3 meals+/day, 4 boat dives/day, airport transfers, etc. Only added $ was Nitrox (<$100/week), beer, and tips.
My 2012 trip was slightly more expensive to the same place (Crystal Blue Resort).
'just back from Komodo/Bali, and I think Indo. can be done even cheaper than $175/nt, and that's travelling solo.
Awesome diving in both places, getting there from the west coast is no too bad either.

Agreed DSR-3. If I had 3 weeks I'd base out of Bali and do land based diving in a few choice locations.

Domestic airfares within Indonesia can't be too bad?

The trick is find the backpacker places for food and lodgings and then dive with the best outfit available.

People have become accustomed to paying way too much for "dive vacations"

The research i've done in the past always comes back to best bang for the buck to be Cozumel, Roatan, and Bonaire in my opinion. The first two i've been to, and will be back in Cozumel next Friday. Dive for the buck is CoCo View in Roatan, with 4-5 dives/ day easy.

We did a lot of pricing and research and booked our trip to Bonaire. Shortend the trip to 11 days and are really looking forward to it. I really decided leaving my crew for three weeks isn't the best thing to do so we will deal with it. My little sisters just announced shes getting married this summer and my oldest sisters son graduates from law school in May both are requesting an appearance so we weighed it all out and decided three weeks might not fit my yearly calendar now. If both of them had not reminded me of this over the last week I might have taken a longer trip.

Bonaire actually priced out about the same as Cozumel really close any way. Florida might have been a pretty nice rounded vacation had we taken three weeks. I would have done a few deep sea fishing trips and my wife has two relatives there. But I kind of wanted to dive someplace totally new to me as well.

Hopefully the two of us get enough diving experience to warrant a dive trip top someplace like Thailand Indonesia or Philippian's. Since I started this quest I realized or remembered I have two friends who have Philippian relatives who might help for a trip like that in a future.

Thanks for all of your input.

Good decision. Like others, I believe Cozumel, Bonaire and the Bay Islands of Honduras offer the best bang for my buck out of Atlanta.

Southeast Asia should be in the running, as others have pointed out, but what I've experienced is that after traveling all that distance to some of the best diving in the world I have not been inclined to stay in backpacker accommodations and dive with budget outfits who might not take me to the best sites or practice the safest diving. After all those hours of travel, I want to ensure I see the best sites with the most competent guides and do it safely. So in Southeast Asia I tend to go all-out and stay at a good resort or do a liveaboard. It's amazing diving, but admittedly not the best bang for my buck.

Excellent decision to gain more experience before taking off for the other side nof the world, although that's what I find myself doing these days. I discovered the Philippines last year, and am going back in March. That air travel is punishing, but I managed to find a one stop flight from Minneapolis to Manila with 19 hours of total travel time for a little over $1300 RT, which is a heck of a lot better than what we endured last time. Once there, you will find it to be flat out amazing diving, especially compared to the Caribbean. Please reference my trip report from Eagle Point for more details. This time it will be Puerto Galera instead of Anilao, although I still try to find time for Cozumel once a year. Good luck with Bonaire. Woody

Bonaire actually priced out about the same as Cozumel

Yes, but you will probably get more dives in Bonaire!

i am sure you will have a blast! We are returning in May and hope to do a Coz trip soon!

Bonaire's main attraction is the shore diving, but don't toss out the idea of doing the boat dives off of Klein Bonaire. Very good stuff.

...While were not super athletic we get out of the car and walk till my wifes ready for me to carry her back ...

Shore diving is why most people show up in Bonaire. The path from car to shore is usually pretty simple, with certain few exceptions that when carrying gear you might wish your were a mountain goat or hired a Sherpa.

The transition from the shoreline to dive depth is another kettle of Frogfish, however. This zone, sometimes 25 to 75+ feet to traverse, even if there is no wave action (rare), the broken coral riprap is quite a challenge.

You should prepare to wear quite heavy rock boots. I don't like diving in them, so I walk out in CROCs sandals- still being very careful- walk out arm-in-arm in pairs. Steady now.

When we get to 5' or so, we switch out to flippers and go further out.

When you get to 20' of depth, mark the spot for your "turn in to the shore exit". Take a 1 liter water bottle, a 2# weight and 10' of line. Plop it there at the set depth and then decide which way into the current (left or right) you will make your dive. When you return, do so in 20fsw and likely you'll find the path back in. I park my CROCs right there, but I do use a 5# weight for the entire lot.

I understand the diving in Bonaire is wonderful, altho I prefer lazy man boat diving. The flights from here are discouraging, and the crime news even more so. Anything left in your vehicle will be stolen, valuables will be taken from your room, and some reports of vehicle rental problems - or so I've heard. Enough that I won't go for a first hand look. More info on that forum here.

If you're still looking for a house rental there's some listed here - the affordable ones start about page 5: Sunbelt Realty - Bonaire - Netherlands Antilles And there's others on vrbo.com There's quite a few rentals to the south of town in Belnem, they'll either be waterfront or across the street typically. Some of the properties in Santa Barbara or Sabadeco are also - others are farther inland. Those are a little farther from town. The best diving is not in Kralendijk but some of those properties are walking access to downtown. Cruise ships occasionally dock downtown also.

What Doc said is mostly correct. Although there are exceptions. Sometimes the ironshore is bisected by sand channels so you can walk out practically barefoot. (gettting from the car to them is another matter...) However on Bonaire beach is mostly wishful thinking...you can see many of the entries here: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/index.htm Helpful previous divers often pile up small chunks of coral rubble at the best entry points. At some sites it's possible to park the truck behind the entry point also - I often pop-up and take a look. This mostly works south of town, the northern sites are hillier and parking is often obscured from view while diving.
All the resorts have dive docks also - many are on known dive sites.

---------- Post added January 1st, 2014 at 05:23 PM ----------

I understand the diving in Bonaire is wonderful, altho I prefer lazy man boat diving. The flights from here are discouraging, and the crime news even more so. Anything left in your vehicle will be stolen, valuables will be taken from your room, and some reports of vehicle rental problems - or so I've heard. Enough that I won't go for a first hand look. More info on that forum here.
I never had anything stolen in Bonaire but I did in Houston. I don't recall hearing that anything was stolen from the 100 or so Invasion participants last year either.

So by your logic I should boycott Texas also right?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom