Best BC for big person

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still working out bouyancy issuses though. I know it's new and still have some fine tuning to do. But overall it is the most comfortable one I've tried yet.

By the way, can anyone steer me to a good thread on solving this issue with the Zeagle Ranger LTD? Not that the type of BC is an issue.

Well, I have only dived once in a jacket-style BCD, and I hated it, especially on the surface, and it didn't seem to fit, no matter what adjustments made. I dive with a BPW, and for a large person, back inflation is definitely a better idea. Another benefit is if you want to get into more technical diving, instead of buying a whole new BCD, you can just buy a different wing, or a different backplate. BPW also has much less drag than the BCD, and can be adjusted to exact fit. I found when I trained on a BPW belonging to my instructor (I and my dad were the only students) no adjustments were made to it after the initial sizing, and after two weeks (we expanded it to a 3 week course, part time) IT WAS MINE!!! It fit perfectly, and there were no problems. If ever you would have to make adjustments to your harness, the webbing creases, and reverting back to your fit is no problem. Also, I am not really a fan of the clik buckles on BCDs, and it is no problem to cut your harness in case of emergency evacuation. Also, there can be some problems with buoyancy in the BCD, (uneven air) whereas you can get a wing that is either a full air cavity, or divided compartments. I definitely think the BPW is much better!

Just my two euros.....

Wow, thanks for all the good info so far. I am definitly going to go with BC that inflates in the back. Again, thanks for the suggestions so far and feel free to keep them coming!

Are rear inflate and back inflate style BC's the same thing? If not, what makes them different.

In regards to the initial post, I would also recommend a back inflate style of bc. I am also about the the same exact size as you and dive an Oceanic Excursion. It works great for me! (If you get one you might feel small, I am 6'3" 245 and I had to get a L, the XL was way too big!) Go to your LDS and try some on. Whatever fits you most comfortably is the best for you!

As far as the BP/W discussion, if you think you might want to get into tech diving it might not be a bad way to go, but I believe a regular BC is more than sufficient for recreational divers.

I just got my Scubapro and I'm one happy camper. I'm 62 and 250 pounds. I tried Cressi and Scubapro rentals before I decided. The lack of pockets doesn't bother me that much and as long as you dont fully inflate the bladder, you wont be hanging face down in the water while yr on top.

Don

Thanks for all the input everyone. I ended up with an Oceanic Probe which is a jacket style...then I had a change of heart and exchanged it for the Oceanic Exucrsion. I used it on my OWC dives and it drove me nuts. The instructor had me wear a weight belt throughout the course and I could not use the trim pockets and such. I went diving today on my first dive w/o an instructor!!! I put the weights in the trim pockets and the intagrated weight system and it worked great!!! No problems at the surface at all! I am happy with my back inflate BC. Thanks again for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom