Best Caribbean liveaboard for a beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am also researching land based operations but really like the idea of being out on a boat 24/7 since I love boats and boating. As for CocoView, I'd go there in a second but won't go to Roatan until everything is settled. I know, I know what most people are going to say but to me it's just no worth it going to an unstable country (yes, I know the problems are just on the mainland) when I can get very similiar diving without all the worries that come with a trip to Honduras.

I think you would be surprised at how little the "unrest" is affecting Roatan as a whole, other than tourists are staying away, which in turn is hurting the residents financially. Same thing happened last year in Fiji... political issues, tourists boycotted the country, and many resorts sat empty and went bankrupt. Sad.
CCV on the other hand, is booked up months in advance and rarely even has 1 empty room each week. The unrest isn't affecting that resort, but many others on the island are hurting due to this "boycott".
As long as you fly directly into Roatan from US, you will not even know there is a problem elsewhere. Or as RoatanMan says - maybe just 1 more policeman sleeping in the airport. :wink:

I am also researching land based operations....

Start a different thread, and look hard at Bonaire.

...but won't go to Roatan until everything is settled

"Things" will never be settled. Honduras is the Banana Republic, a term most throw about unknowingly. Crack open the dictionary- there's a picture of Honduras. Scratch it off your list permanently.

...when I can get very similiar diving without all the worries that come with a trip to Honduras.

I believe they do run week-long boats with diving that depart right from Florida. No worries and very similar diving.

Last edited:
Hands down the Belize Aggressor III! Smooth waters and shallow as you need, no currents, warm and great visibility! Next the Aqua Cat also very easy diving!

There was a young man on our Nekton Pilot trip to the Cay Sal banks that was doing an AOW class. It seemed to go very well for him, he seemed to be having a great time and he came out of it with more experience diving in a week than a lot of students need a year to get in-- I'd recommend it in a heartbeat!
I agree that being on a liveaboard is a great way to go if you love boats and being on the water. I almost wanted to move in permanently!

The Cuan Law in the BVI is good for beginners. It has a relaxed 3 dives per day schedule, is very stable, with better food and rooms than most liveaboards. Most dives are shallow, however dives on the bow of the wreck of the Rhone are deeper and not to be missed. They often have multiple divemasters on board, so you could inquire about additional attention or a course if that is of interest.

Ralph

Hello!

My 14yr old son (PADI jr open water) and I (PADI advanced open water) are considering going on our first Live aboard for his winter Break this January 17-24, 2010.

I wanted to know if anyone here knew of any trips leaving from the Ft. Lauderdale-Miami area? Unfortunately, since we cannot afford the longer trips we are looking for a 4-6 day trip. Besides the cost, we especially need to make sure that there are enough shallow dives that we can do, keeping us within his 60' depth limit. We're also interested in what courses we might take while on board. Can you please tell me what you know of, and at what price? We can also get an affordable airfare into Montego bay...

Thank you!
Bert

January 17 to the 24 is past the Christmas price gouge time so you should be able to get some good pricing.

The Cuan Law in the BVI is good for beginners. It has a relaxed 3 dives per day schedule, is very stable, with better food and rooms than most liveaboards. Most dives are shallow, however dives on the bow of the wreck of the Rhone are deeper and not to be missed. They often have multiple divemasters on board, so you could inquire about additional attention or a course if that is of interest.

Ralph

The Cuan Law would probably be my first choice but it just too expensive for me. Oh well. Maybe one day.

Hello!

My 14yr old son (PADI jr open water) and I (PADI advanced open water) are considering going on our first Live aboard for his winter Break this January 17-24, 2010.

I wanted to know if anyone here knew of any trips leaving from the Ft. Lauderdale-Miami area? Unfortunately, since we cannot afford the longer trips we are looking for a 4-6 day trip. Besides the cost, we especially need to make sure that there are enough shallow dives that we can do, keeping us within his 60' depth limit. We're also interested in what courses we might take while on board. Can you please tell me what you know of, and at what price? We can also get an affordable airfare into Montego bay...

Thank you!
Bert

NO, it is winter time in Florida and you aren't going to find liveaboards during that time period, the water is too cold. There is a liveaboard in the Keys that does shorter trips but I dont' think they do them in winter.
the Nekton leaves from Ft. Lauderdale in spring/summer Nekton Cruises > Home

Jamaica is not a dive destination, it is a party destination with some very mediocre diving available.

robin:D

Back
Top Bottom