Best Caribbean liveaboard for a beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Cuan Law in the BVI is good for beginners. It has a relaxed 3 dives per day schedule, is very stable, with better food and rooms than most liveaboards. Most dives are shallow, however dives on the bow of the wreck of the Rhone are deeper and not to be missed. They often have multiple divemasters on board, so you could inquire about additional attention or a course if that is of interest.

Ralph

Three dives a day is not acceptable to me for a dive trip.

Three dives a day is not acceptable to me for a dive trip.

Not to worry, they are very flexible. We average 5 dives a day on CL, and have done some 11pm+ and 4:30 am dives too when there was interest.

Am I missing something? No one has suggested Blackbeard's. Not sure what their seasonal schedule is, but BB is the first trip I took with under 25 dives and it was great for learning and gaining experience quickly. I can still remember the first time I used my lungs only to rise up over a coral head....I was jazzed!

Take a look at Blackbeard's. It's camping on the water, but the food is very good and the diving is very plentiful.

If you feel comfortable and love diving just go for it :D I went on liveaboard trip to the Similan Islands in Thailand less than a month after I was certified and loved every minute of it and did all 20 dives (5 day trip) some to 90fsw or more.

(((kevin)))

A liveaboard for a beginning diver, hunh? Excellent idea, with a lot of potential. If you can handle the inherent problems of a boat (motion sickness, cramped quarters compared to ANY land based outfit, etc.) then you will probably find yourself addicted to this particular type of diving, just like we were. We have been on most all of the Bahamas serving liveaboards over the past several years, and I can tell you that the Explorer boat in this area is an excellent choice. Much more room and nicer layout than several of the smaller boats, and a committed company with an excellent reputation behind it. And not as expensive as the pricy boats, either, with similiar service. It still ain't cheap, but then no liveaboard really is, except perhaps for the Blackbeard yachts out of the Bahamas. But then again, you are living in each others laps on those boats, a fact that they are very clear about. More room will cost you. The Juliet is a nice little boat with surprising room that does the Bahamas route half of the year, and you might look into this. Nekton is always available, and it usually satisfies most clients, despite all the sturm & drang about them that you are probably watching right now on this forum. And there are others. You need to look at the several variables (price, level of comfort, where they sail from, where they go, reputation, etc, etc.) and then decide what will serve you best. Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help. Woody

A liveaboard for a beginning diver, hunh? Excellent idea, with a lot of potential. If you can handle the inherent problems of a boat (motion sickness, cramped quarters compared to ANY land based outfit, etc.) then you will probably find yourself addicted to this particular type of diving, just like we were. We have been on most all of the Bahamas serving liveaboards over the past several years, and I can tell you that the Explorer boat in this area is an excellent choice. Much more room and nicer layout than several of the smaller boats, and a committed company with an excellent reputation behind it. And not as expensive as the pricy boats, either, with similiar service. It still ain't cheap, but then no liveaboard really is, except perhaps for the Blackbeard yachts out of the Bahamas. But then again, you are living in each others laps on those boats, a fact that they are very clear about. More room will cost you. The Juliet is a nice little boat with surprising room that does the Bahamas route half of the year, and you might look into this. Nekton is always available, and it usually satisfies most clients, despite all the sturm & drang about them that you are probably watching right now on this forum. And there are others. You need to look at the several variables (price, level of comfort, where they sail from, where they go, reputation, etc, etc.) and then decide what will serve you best. Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help. Woody

Woodman -

Thanks for all the great info. Yes, I think the Explorer matches what I'd be looking for the best. Blackbeards sounds a bit too primitive for me. The Aggressor is too expensive. Cuan Law same thing. Nekton seems to get the most negative reviews on here.

Brian, I agree with you. My sister in law is in executive protection plus numerous other law enforcement jobs...anyway she has been to Honduras several times transporting illegals back from the states and she told me no way should I consider going to CCV unitl things calm down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom