Best destination dive site for Jan/Feb diving for NYC resident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkEsq

Cthulhu Hunter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi - not sure where to post this, since it's not right for any of particular regional forum. But I'm looking to do a short (3 days?) dive trip in Jan/Feb of this year, and I'll be traveling out of the NYC area. What's the best place that's within reasonably flight of here? I've done a reasonable amount of diving in the Keys, and I think it's a little early (cold) for me then. I don't know what areas (carribean? central america? northern south america?) have the best combination of diving and weather at that time of year. FWIW, I'm AOW w/ about 100 dives and enjoy both reef diving and wreck diving (well, at least, I really enjoy the Spiegel and Duane down in Key Largo). I'm open to day trips or a short live-aboard, depending on what makes the most sense (and to get the most diving in, as I've found some places don't have day trips that let you do more than 2 tanks a day).

Given that connecting flights are still a mess, perhaps see which destinations you can get a direct flight to and narrow it from there.

Hi @SharkEsq

Grand Cayman is easy to get to. Consider Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers on the east end. They offer 4 boat dives per day, a 5th if there is a night dive. They have the option to go north or south depending on the sea conditions. A great op and resort
How does Grand Cayman compare to Montego Bay? Flying out of Newark is easier, and there aren't any non-stops to Caymans from there, but there is to Montego Bay. Is it worth treking over to LGA or JFK to go to the Caymans instead?

How does Grand Cayman compare to Montego Bay? Flying out of Newark is easier, and there aren't any non-stops to Caymans from there, but there is to Montego Bay. Is it worth treking over to LGA or JFK to go to the Caymans instead?

AFAIK, Caymans is SUPERIOR to Montego Bay in terms of diving. And yes, it is worth going to JEK or LGA to go to Caymans. 3 days is way tooooo short to go anywhere other than FL.

You could maybe jump out to San Salvador Bahamas for a short trip (Riding Rock Inn). Don't know the condition of topside or reefs post hurricane season,,,

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom