Best dive sites and resorts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to see the best of Maldives in terms of diving, I would recommend a liveaboard.

@sea

It has been a while since I've been on this board, but I know this is probably one the best place to get the info on dives / locations as well as recommendations.

I recently got married (August) and wife and I are planning our honeymoon for this winter (Jan / Feb 2012 time-frame). The main requirements are that it has be:

A) warm
B) be on an island
C) diving is a must (she's a non-diver, but I might be able to convert her)
D) location should be "exotic"

Given those "requirements," we agreed on four choices: Maldives, Thailand, Australia and French Polynesia (Bora Bora / Moorea). After giving it some more thought, we narrowed out choices down to Maldives and FP. Although I dove at quite a few places, I have never been to either of the aforementioned locations (I've been to Fiji and it was awesome).

The place we're looking to stay in Maldives is called "Kuredu Island resort Spa;" however, I never realized just how many small islands make up Maldives. I also read the "main" diving spots are at/around Ari Atoll, but given our location, it seems we're not even close to Ari. I'm not planning to dive every day (as mentioned under bullet C, the wife is a non-diver); however, I would like to experience some of the best (or close to best) diving Maldives has to offer (I'm certified AOW with plenty of dives).

Has anyone been to Kuredu Island? What are your thoughts / recommendations? Again, the primary reason is honeymoon (relaxing and doing a bit of diving, but as I understand it, there really isn't that much to do otherwise)...

Thanks!

PS
I will also post this under "Pacific Islands" sub-forum in order to get some input on diving in FP (I read that the reefs are pretty much dead in Moorea).

As your information request is regarding a hotel/resort, I would suggest you check tripadvisor.com - not that there isn't good info here, but that site is really good at just "resort info" (which includes the house reef and boat reef info specific to a resort), and using both that site and this is a good research plan.

Kuredu Express is a famous divesite- the name implies a bit of current from time to time. Enjoy! From what I understand it's massive as well so there is plenty to do for the non-diver. For sure the diving and snorkeling will be great.

The Ari Atoll is famous because it's a) Big
b) It was one of the first atolls to open to tourists
c) It's a good place for mantas and whalesharks (seasonally)

There is a heap more diving to discover in the Maldives- some would argue that it's better in other atolls to the far north or south as it's a bit more off the beaten track. I know that the big sites in Ari Atoll like Maaya Thila, Fishhead, Maamigili and Madivaru (near Rangali) get hit hard with safari boats.

Maaya Thila used to be an amazing sharky night dive- now it's an underwater laser show.

But don't worry about your choice of going to Kuredu- have a great time.

Just came back from a week on Sun Island in the South Ari Atoll. We were there last year as well. We absolutely love it!
Saw whale sharks twice! That was for us the main reason of going to the Maamigili area.
Some general info: we now flew from Male to the new Maamigili airport - they are still very busy improving the lot.
The weather was so-so, meaning only a couple of days with sun - which is OK for me, but not for the missus...
Watertemperature was a constant 28° C, so lots of people dove with a shorty.
We did some 10 dives and most of them were relaxed, a couple with currents.
Since our son can only go to -15 m, we staid on the wall most of the times which is excellent for us budding photog and videog.
Haven't gone thru the pices yet; if there are any good ones, will post them.

Hi Supergaiijin, Thanks for all the information you share about Maldives diving. I have just started my research for an 8 night dive trip to the Maldives in 2012. My husband and I have been invited to join friends (another couple) on the Dhoni Stella II from 15-23 July. The four of us have done dive trips together before and this is their second time cruising on the Dhoni Stella II. The first time they were on the boat for 5 days and did just a little diving and mostly relaxed. This time we would like to plan 2-3 dives per day, some night dives, etc. All 4 people have their AOW/Nitrox cert and have 200+ dives. From reading your posts I get the picture that dive sites will of course be vary variable based on the weather, current, etc. which is understandable and also that from year to year things vary based on sea conditions, nutrients, etc. We are allowed to plan our itienary so I was hoping you might give us some input for that time of year. We have requested that the yacht company include a DM in our dive plans. Not sure how they get chosen, but any tijps on that would also be helpful. We've been blessed with the opportunity to dive with mantas and whale sharks before but those are always a welcome bonus. Eagle rays and sharks are also on our "love to see" list. I have yet to dive with hammerheads but expect to be diving in Cocos Islands in 2013 and the probability is high that we will get good looks at them there. My husband is a bird photographer/research associate with Cornell University's Ornithology Lab and we'll also be on the lookout of opportunites to photograph brids on some of the islands. Any suggestions on where you think we should go/dive on this trip?
Best regards. Linda

I don't want to disappoint you. But the time you have chosen is off / low season to the Maldives.

Felidhe Atoll and Meemu Atoll is out as it's not the right time to be there. Unless the normal routine of weather changes and something unusual happens. A good/experienced DM / dive guide should know as they are suppose to be up to date with the current situation.

Your best options are Ari-Atoll and Baa Atoll. I would choose Ari-Atoll specially if you haven't been there.
Plenty of dive sites to choose.

Even though it's low season you have good chances of seeing Mantas and Whale-sharks. :)

As far I know Stella does not have a permanent DM on board. Which means they are likely to hire one for the period you will be there. ( Many freelance guides are available ) But make sure they hire an experienced guide. Which would very much help you to get the best of Maldives even during low season. Just need the right person to take you to the right places at the right time of the day. :) :)

Have fun and Good Luck !!!

@sea

As far as birds go- that is also... surprise surprise season dependent. I notice more sea birds during the Iruvai season starting in December through to about Easter time however land birds are plentiful on just about any island. There is some kind of crane that wades in the shallows and a few small birds to find. I'm no ornithologist but perhaps you could contact Dr. Charles Anderson who runs whale watching tours in the Maldives. He is a biologist who has been here since the early 80s. He has also appeared on TED talking about the annual migration of dragonflies across the Indian Ocean.

regarding safari itinerary- there is something to be said about the guides' experience in the sites. The safari crew will most likely be the most experienced in the Male and Ari Atolls. Diving the outside channels will almost guarantee you eagle rays and the like. Whalesharks of course around Maamigili, but also to be spotted elsewhere but unpredictable.

I only have experience in the Ari atoll so cannot comment on the abundance of excellent dives to be had elsewhere. With 8 nights, I'd stay fairly safe with Male and North Ari with maybe a quick jaunt down to Maamigili. I'm sure that would be a well-known itinerary for the crew so hopefully it all goes smoothly.

have fun!

I just returned from diving in the South, in Gaafu Atoll. In addition to the three existing resorts (Jumeriah, Hyatt, Robinson) there are two others just opening or soon to open (Raffles, ShangriLa?).

While we never saw whale sharks or mantas, we did see sharks (white tip, black tip, reef, nurse, leopard) and rays (eagle ray, sting ray) on every channel dive... and we never once saw another dive boat from a resort or LoB!

It is perhaps worthy to note that there is a fairly new governmental drive to open hotels on some of the more remote atoll islands in the Maldives. From what I understand, these hotels will be unique as they will be on a "local island" and not an isolated "one island, one resort" theme as before.

The reasoning is to get more tourist dollars in to the far south and north to stimulate local economies as they are being left out in comparison to the heavily resorted central atolls. Some will no doubt be the typical spa resort, but I for one am excited to see "normal" hotels opening, which should interest the traveller as opposed to wealthy tourist.

So far- the traveller has been excluded from the Maldives which is a real shame. Most resorts offer a "Maldivian Experience" trip to a local island which is really just a chance to stretch the legs and buy some bracelets.

Back
Top Bottom