Best dive sites and resorts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is perhaps worthy to note that there is a fairly new governmental drive to open hotels on some of the more remote atoll islands in the Maldives. From what I understand, these hotels will be unique as they will be on a "local island" and not an isolated "one island, one resort" theme as before.

The reasoning is to get more tourist dollars in to the far south and north to stimulate local economies as they are being left out in comparison to the heavily resorted central atolls. Some will no doubt be the typical spa resort, but I for one am excited to see "normal" hotels opening, which should interest the traveller as opposed to wealthy tourist.

So far- the traveller has been excluded from the Maldives which is a real shame. Most resorts offer a "Maldivian Experience" trip to a local island which is really just a chance to stretch the legs and buy some bracelets.

All five of the hotels I referenced in Gaafu (the three already build and the two new ones I saw from boat) are all "one resort on it's own private-type island".

The 'one island one resort' concept will not be replaced, but there will be a limited number of hotels situated on the same island as local populations which is a fairly new drive from the new government to share the wealth.

I believe some exist already, with others in the pipelines.

Hey guys, I see some good information here so I will "plunge" in and ask a question. I see a fair amount of discussion of the importance of "season" for Maldives diving, but I cannot find exactly what that means.

Specifically, is there good diving year around there, and it is only an issue of choosing the right part of the country to dive, or is there some time of the year when diving is definitively less desirable?

I am planning to be there January 15-30, 2012. Any suggestions for where are the best sites that time of the year? My biggest interest is in the whale sharks, and then the other "big boys" (I don`t even own a macro lens!)

Am a PADI Master Scuba diver with 200+ dives and some tec diving (IANTD, NACD).
Cheers guys and thanks for any replies!
Ricardo

There are definitely seasons here in the Maldives but they're not the same as the 4 seasons you'd get say in Nth America. The seasons are based around the 2 monsoon seasons. The wet monsoon (not always wet) comes from the SW- the wind drives up from the coast of South Africa over the Indian Ocean and takes cooler moister air towards India- and thus the Maldives. It rains more often during this monsoon period (Mid-April through to the start of December). Sometimes the rains pass very quickly (sudden squalls of 5-10mins are common but sometimes the rain sets in for a week or 10 days at a time.

The "dry" monsoon comes from the NE (India) and doesn't pick up a lot of water before it reaches the Maldives- thus it is a dry monsoon. This period (especially Feb/March) is known for its calm dry weather. It can also rain during this time but the storms are usually short-lived.

For more information on the Monsoon try to google nakai, iruvai and hulhangu.

Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
May
Jun
Jul
Aug
Sep
Oct
Nov
Dec
Ideal weather for visiting the Maldives
Good weather for visiting the Maldives
Weather more variable but travel still possible, and you can take advantage of the lowest holiday prices of the year!

According to the Nakai, from Jan 6-18 it's clear blue skies, but strong winds from the SW. Jan 19-31 is Calm seas and blue skies.
Because this is the NE monsoon- any resort on the south-western side of the atoll should have the calmest weather and seas.

There is a huge range of different hotels- most are expensive. Some are extremely expensive- as in $1000+/night (for the bed). All inclusive hotels exist- definitely the cheaper option. One that I can recommend is Maaya Fushi located in the North Ari Atoll- it's an Italian run resort (everyone speaks English), all inclusive, decent accom, decent food, good vibe, and the diving is sweet.... but... you're not close to the whale shark region which is in the South of the Ari Atoll. I work on a nearby resort ($1000+) Here there is some excellent shark diving, and an impressive manta spot which (on occasion) can have 40 mantas at a time.

In the south, I can recommend DIVA resort. More expensive but it has a good dive center, ideal location for whale sharks. I used to work there and the diving is sweeeeet, with deep reefs full of fish and current, and then the outer reefs have the whale sharks, mantas, eagle rays etc. and better for the experienced diver as they allow you to buddy-up with other divers of ability. (A lot of the expensive resorts are more hand-holding).

So.. Whale Sharks = South Ari Atoll- recommend DIVA, second I recommend Mirihi- close enough to W/S, great house reef.
Cheaper and good = North Ari- recommend Maaya Fushi

Dude, you are the man! Thanks so much for this excellent info. I am from Argentina and dive there and Brazil, any info needed from that part of the world just give me a shout. Cheers and thanks amigo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom