Best diving on cebu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent a much of January 2006 on a solo trip, diving in southern Cebu, Negros and Apo Island. Diving was good, warm water 27C, but visibility was only 5-10M due to lots of rain and storms. Here are some of the places I went:

Sumilon Island, 2 dives, a "sanctuary" supposedly. Not worth visiting, since the locals have fished out this "sanctuary" and there is a lot of old tires and trash on the bottom. The Sumilon Blue Water Resort on the Island is very expensive -- but has almost no fresh water, so you can't wash your dive gear, or even your body, in this fancy place. Every drop of fresh water is ferried in, and even Mineral water was $4 per bottle. Unbelievable! I guess for the mainly Japanese tourists who only want to lay about and get overcharged, it's OK, but otherwise forget it. Better to stay on Cebu at Marine Village in Liloan and make a day trip to Sumilon. Next I took the 1 hour banca ferry from Liloan to Sibulan on Dumaguette and was picked up by the van from El Dorado Resort.

Apo Island: A real sanctuary, with plenty of fish and some nice walls to dive. I love this place, and will go back. There is a good resort on the Island, but like Sumilon Island (and Malapascua Island) it has to ferry in fresh water for drinking. I stayed nearby on Negros, at El Dorado Resort Dauin Beach, a outstanding Swiss-run operation with an excellent dive shop, decent restaurant, great DMs and reasonable prices for lodging and diving. Most guests were European. Saw mandarin fish at the Atlantis reef, and lots of life at the artificial house reef growing on tetragons formed of used truck tires, completely overgrown, a creative use for something that is otherwise a disposal problem. At Apo Island, dove Coconut, Cogon, Rock Point, Sanctuary, Chapel and Largahan. Nice drift dives along the walls, but make sure your DM knows the area because this channel sometimes has wild current. Dove 10 dives, 6 on Apo and loved them all. Other dive shops abound, such as Sea Explorers and Atlantis, and new ones are going in on Negros, but I was very happy with El Dorado Resort. Took the SuperFerry back to Cebu City, and did a courtesy dive at Mactan Island.

Mactan: Short visit --- 2 dives, marred by so many racing jet ski's overhead I hated to surface. Just too crowded, not much here and I would not repeat. Took the Ceres aircon bus to Moalboal and trike to Panagsama Beach.

Moalboal, Panagsama Beach: I enjoyed this laid-back area, which has lots of dive shops, lodging, and bars in a relaxed uncrowded setting. On 8 dives, I enjoyed diving Tongo Point, Pescador Island, White Beach and Sanctuary. Though visibility was fair, I got plenty of good photos of macro subjects and hard to find Leaf Fish and juvenile clown Anglerfish. I dove at Savedra Dive Resort which is extremely well run by German expats, stayed at Marina Village adjacent. Not surprisingly, most fellow divers were German and I always enjoy diving with them. This little village actually has a simple night life, many bars open late and friendly locals.

To answer the question about single women divers travelling the in Cebu, I think it's safe if you are sensible. Dress conservatively, don't flash money or jewelry, stay in better hotels, use taxis, aircon buses and major ferries for transportation. There was a young single woman diver named Erika from Japan diving with us in Moalboal.

For personal reasons this trip was focused on southern Cebu, and I only scratched the surface. I plan to go back in mid March to Siquijor, Bohol, and Malapascua. I really enjoyed Moalboal and Apo Island, so may repeat some of them too.

Hope you enjoy some of my photos from this trip, in my album:

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=1511

Robertson, Hello welcome aboard. Well you can see there are lots of options. I`ll get to it quick. I did a month safari in Oct. - Nov. 2005. All diving is quite nice. If I knew now... I would go to Bohol,Alona...Prosafari, walk in rate 6 dives 7th free $99 USD with small lunch...good operation. Apo Island of of Dauin ( Dumaguette ) Negros Orrietal , I was a little dissappointed because we ( El Dorado ) couldn`t dive the best spots because of novice divers and because OLO Point was off limits. No Mamsa, No Coconut Pt. No Larghan. Sanctuary was awesome but the last 2 dives in front of Paul and Liberty`s was boring. El Dorado $ 27.00 a dive. The food at the resort is great, free breakfast! Lodging was $30.00. In Alona Beach... I stayed at Black Rock resort before Alona Kew Resort on the right. I think $12.00 USD with good breakfast included . Bliacsag Island was the best diving I did in PI`s. I did 14 dives at Alona $200.00 USD and did 10 at Baliacsag. Truly a living aquarium. Unbelievable. All spots diveable. I am sure I would have been as WOWED at Apo if I could have dived all spots. Mactan is comercial but there are good dives. Go to Cebu and make tips to Alona and Dauin. Fast Ferry. Visayas are the best.Alona is beach paradise, restaurants, internet. Malapascua is nice. Mandarin fish night dive , the best part. I even saw threshers 4meters away. Mandarin fish mating was the best. Long journey to get there. Short time Alona and Dauin for sure. I am going back in 13 days.Kind regards... Mabuhay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom