Best drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I HAD a BARE 6mm neoprene. It was close fitting, very warm but also not so flexible.
I am currently diving a Scubapro EverTec membrane which has ALOT of room in it making it very flexible and comfortable but much cooler so more undersuits required.

Ok------what drysuit are you diving? What are the pros and cons?
This won't help you much, I'm afraid, but mine is a Whites Nexus, a bilaminate shell.

Pro:
It fit me very well off the rack in my size, no customization needed.
I've put hundreds of hours on it and it has never let me down nor leaked and still looks good. Do shell suits keep their "almost-new" look a lot longer than neoprene suits?
I can call the company and chat with the technician who will be doing my seal replacements (it's a small company, but maybe they all are). Have had neck and wrist seals replaced twice now.

Con:
No longer made. Superseded by Fusion model.

-Bryan

Attachments

• BSG-CraterLake-2006.jpg
    BSG-CraterLake-2006.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 393
I have used a bare nexgen for 9 years in alaska, great lakes, and other cold water spots. great suit for the money
inexpensive; its a basic suit. lots of places have them so you can find bargains
very durable
great factory service when I got seals replaced a few years back
seals are very soft
dislikes
across the shoulders means your buddy has to zip you iin
suspenders are optional instead of standard. worth the extra $50
neoprene socks mean rock boots are needed (the come with it)

bottom line: a basic suit and i would buy another to replace it, but after nine years it shows no signs of wearing out.

Whites fusion

pro: fits well, easy to manage, got a super bargain on it.

Con: Despite the bargain I still burned two weeks pay on it.

I get cold way to easy so i always dive dry i have a Mares polar fit i don't like the attached hard boots as they trap air, I also have a DUI 30/30SE with the rockboot option, i am pretty happy in this suit in water from 50s to 80s just wear the right under garments from a 200gm jumpsuit to as little as under armor cold gear. i did get the cf200 knee pads. but pretty happy with this suit. the valves work well the only con i can see is the suit may not be super tough, but know issues yet.

Whites Fusion.

Pros: Light (very light) and dries fairly quickly. Virtually fit-independent (I can dive my husband's suit as my backup). EXTREMELY durable, and small punctures are trivial to fix. True self-entry in anything other than very thick undergarments. Trivially easy to turn inside out and dry or clean, and uses SiTech valves, which I love, and which are easy to maintain/repair yourself.

Cons: Big ones are 1) Pockets. I like the Sport skin for lightness and quick drying, and it won't support pockets. The Bullet skin, which I bought, is heavy, dries slowly and makes the suit a real PITA to get in and out of, but does support pockets. Having tried both, I'm back to using X-shorts for pockets over the Lycra skin.

2) Footgear. Suit comes with fabric socks, and is intended for an overboot system of some kind. The socks were way too big for my feet, so the fabric got crumpled up inside the boots and often hurt. Whites boots aren't made for women's feet, so I had to try all kinds of other footgear, and ended up kicking off boots a couple of times, including deep in a cave. I spent the money to put Turbosoles on the suit, which aren't a perfect solution but are better than what it came with, in my opinion. Whites now has a semi-permanent attached boot solution which I have never seen or tried, but I don't see it solving the problem of the socks being ridiculously big.

Small cons: The suit is not as easy to get in and out of as a simple laminate suit, although it might be better now (I was an early adopter, and they cut the arms and legs narrower in those days). Piping on the skin didn't last very long and looked really tacky as it died (until I cut it all off). Suit is extremely stupid-looking on most people (although I think the new stretch Bare suit is going to take the honors in that department!).

I have the Fusion Bullet. While I have tried no others there is nothing about it I would change! I find it super easy to get in and out of and I love the pockets. The zipper can be a tad tough at times to get completely closed but I always dive with someone so never a real issue.

Ok------what drysuit are you diving? What are the pros and cons?
My wife dive a Whites Fusion and she loves it. Pros, lightweight, very flexible and she looks like a power ranger in it. Cons: She looks like a power ranger in it.

I use a Whites Catalyst 360. Pros, It fits perfect, durable and easy to dive. Cons: It was expensive and not a Fusion. They did not have a Fusion that fit when I bought it. They do now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom